recording audio

Darcy Kahle
Any tips for recording onto an Audio track?  Anything I do results in a
very soft recording.  I would like to greatly increase the volume of the
recorded audio file. I am using Rosegarden 13.06.

Re: recording audio

Brian Clem
Its most likely not a Rosegarden concern.  Rosegarden is the end result showing you lower_than_needed levels.

What hardware are you using?  Check your mixers to make sure your input level is where it needs to be.  I am hoping this link will help:

http://mytechrants.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/linux-sound-level-too-low/

Good luck!

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Darcy Kahle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Any tips for recording onto an Audio track?  Anything I do results in a
very soft recording.  I would like to greatly increase the volume of the
recorded audio file. I am using Rosegarden 13.06.

Re: recording audio

Darcy Kahle
I am using Qsynth to play the MIDI output through Jack.

I will check out the link, thanks.

Brian Clem wrote:
Its most likely not a Rosegarden concern.  Rosegarden is the end result showing you lower_than_needed levels.

What hardware are you using?  Check your mixers to make sure your input level is where it needs to be.  I am hoping this link will help:

http://mytechrants.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/linux-sound-level-too-low/

Good luck!

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Darcy Kahle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Any tips for recording onto an Audio track?  Anything I do results in a
very soft recording.  I would like to greatly increase the volume of the
recorded audio file. I am using Rosegarden 13.06.

Re: recording audio

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 10/30/2013 10:47 PM, Darcy Kahle wrote:

> Windows computer, and the file is very soft.  For some reason,
> Rosegarden is recording at a low volume.

Fool around with the gain control while you play a representative sample
to watch for high spikes on the VU meter.  You want to get it as high as
you can without clipping anything.

I'm not looking at anything right now, and can't at the moment, so I'm
just going on memory.  I don't think the control is labeled "gain" as
such, and I think it's a red slider in the audio instrument parameters box.

For a recording that's already done where the volume is too low, it's
likely that you captured sufficient information, and just need to push
the levels up as high as they can go without clipping.  Running
normalize on the sample ought to take care of that nicely.  There's a
free-standing command line app, and several applications have a
normalize function built in.

Re: recording audio

Darcy Kahle

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
[...]

I did see that slider, and while raising that all the way up to the top (+6.000), it only raised the volume of the recorded file by a couple degrees of a whisper, and what I did hear was really clipped.

I tried to locate the free-standing app that you mentioned that would raise the volume, but could not locate it.  Please let me know what the command name is, and I will try again to find it.

On 10/31/2013 09:22 PM, Darcy Kahle wrote:

> I did see that slider, and while raising that all the way up to the top
> (+6.000), it only raised the volume of the recorded file by a couple
> degrees of a whisper, and what I did hear was really clipped.

OK, the signal Rosegarden is getting is very weak.

My guess is that you're just recording the entire soundcard mix instead
of recording QSynth directly.  Use QJackCtl to hook QSynth's outputs to
Rosegarden's inputs, and that will get you a clean, full-strength signal.

> I tried to locate the free-standing app that you mentioned that would
> raise the volume, but could not locate it.  Please let me know what the
> command name is, and I will try again to find it.

I already named it.  The command to normalize audio files is 'normalize'.

Well, that's what it used to be.  It's apparently 'normalize-audio' now
on Kubuntu 12.04.  Anyway, with such a weak signal this isn't going to
help you much.  Get a stronger signal first.  Fooling around with the
audio routing in QJackCtl is surely your friend here.

Re: recording audio

Darcy Kahle
I will try routing the signals in QJackCTL tonight and let you know.  Thanks.  As for the Normalize, I am running Centos, not Kubuntu, and that is not on my system.  I would have to find it's source and build it.