navigation between segments in the notation editor

navigation between segments in the notation editor

David Faure
When selecting multiple segments and editing them all together in the notation editor,
Ctrl + Key_Left / Ctrl + Key_Right (which moves one bar at a time) stops at the boundaries
of the current segment. Yet, the big blue marker in the main window keeps moving...

NotationWidget::slotPointerPositionChanged() appears in the debug output, with increasing values
even when the cursor is "blocked", so I'm not sure why the marker doesn't move in the notation editor.

What's the intended behaviour? Should Ctrl + Key_Right keep going, into the next segment?
That would be convenient, IMHO.

The workaround is to click once into the next segment, in the notation editor,
then the marker jumps there and I can keep going into that segment.

--
David Faure, [hidden email], http://www.davidfaure.fr
Working on KDE Frameworks 5

Re: navigation between segments in the notation editor

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 04/17/2016 07:29 AM, David Faure wrote:

> When selecting multiple segments and editing them all together in the notation editor,
> Ctrl + Key_Left / Ctrl + Key_Right (which moves one bar at a time) stops at the boundaries
> of the current segment. Yet, the big blue marker in the main window keeps moving...
>
> NotationWidget::slotPointerPositionChanged() appears in the debug output, with increasing values
> even when the cursor is "blocked", so I'm not sure why the marker doesn't move in the notation editor.
>
> What's the intended behaviour? Should Ctrl + Key_Right keep going, into the next segment?
> That would be convenient, IMHO.

The behavior with Left and Right to move one event at a time is to stop
at the end of the active segment.  The cursor in the main window does
not move.  As you point out, using the Ctrl+Left/Right version of this
does move the cursor in the main window.  I hadn't ever noticed that,
and it's inconsistent.  One or the other, surely, but never both
behaviors.  This is an oversight.

I don't have a strong opinion on what to do when reaching the end of the
active segment.  Stopping is fine with me.  If I want to continue, I
change the active segment and do so.  I am used to this, and can live
with it.  Could Rosegarden save me a little effort and select the next
segment automatically?  It certainly seems possible, and I don't have
any objection to giving that a try.  It might work out splendidly.

Trying to navigate with just the keyboard, I notice that it seems to be
impossible to change the active segment without reaching for the mouse.
  I have never been a keyboard navigation guy, and this does not bother
me, but I can see where it would bother a keyboard navigation guy.  If
we can figure out some new keys to use for this, it seems like a good
idea to add some new shortcuts to call these slots via a different route.

On Sunday 17 April 2016 09:46:40 D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> On 04/17/2016 07:29 AM, David Faure wrote:
>
> > When selecting multiple segments and editing them all together in the notation editor,
> > Ctrl + Key_Left / Ctrl + Key_Right (which moves one bar at a time) stops at the boundaries
> > of the current segment. Yet, the big blue marker in the main window keeps moving...
> >
> > NotationWidget::slotPointerPositionChanged() appears in the debug output, with increasing values
> > even when the cursor is "blocked", so I'm not sure why the marker doesn't move in the notation editor.
> >
> > What's the intended behaviour? Should Ctrl + Key_Right keep going, into the next segment?
> > That would be convenient, IMHO.
>
> The behavior with Left and Right to move one event at a time is to stop
> at the end of the active segment.  The cursor in the main window does
> not move.  As you point out, using the Ctrl+Left/Right version of this
> does move the cursor in the main window.  I hadn't ever noticed that,
> and it's inconsistent.  One or the other, surely, but never both
> behaviors.  This is an oversight.

Agreed.

> I don't have a strong opinion on what to do when reaching the end of the
> active segment.  Stopping is fine with me.  If I want to continue, I
> change the active segment and do so.  I am used to this, and can live
> with it.  Could Rosegarden save me a little effort and select the next
> segment automatically?  It certainly seems possible, and I don't have
> any objection to giving that a try.  It might work out splendidly.

Yes, I don't see what the downside might be.

> Trying to navigate with just the keyboard, I notice that it seems to be
> impossible to change the active segment without reaching for the mouse.

Exactly.

>   I have never been a keyboard navigation guy, and this does not bother
> me, but I can see where it would bother a keyboard navigation guy.  If
> we can figure out some new keys to use for this, it seems like a good
> idea to add some new shortcuts to call these slots via a different route.

I don't understand why this would require an unintuitive new shortcut.
What do we lose by letting Left/Right and Ctrl+Left/Right navigate to
the next segment automatically?
Or the other way around, what do we win by blocking navigation at the end
of a segment?

On 04/17/2016 10:51 AM, David Faure wrote:
> I don't understand why this would require an unintuitive new shortcut.
> What do we lose by letting Left/Right and Ctrl+Left/Right navigate to
> the next segment automatically?

> Or the other way around, what do we win by blocking navigation at the end
> of a segment?

You misunderstand me.  Your automatic segment selection idea is fine
when the segments are linear, but if I have two overlapping segments
with different voices at the same point in time, I have no way of
switching from one to the other with the keyboard.  Since I'm not
advancing horizontally, the auto-selector can do me no good here.

Rosegarden could do with both, I think.  I realize the last thing we
need is more shortcuts, and I'm open to other suggestions how to achieve
the end result.  Having multiple voices at the same time is extremely
common in all sorts of music, and it is a major thing we tried to bolt
onto Rosegarden after the fact.

Rosegarden does not handle multiple voices well, and there is much room
for improvement.  The other major issue is the treatment of rests in the
different voices.  It is just a train wreck that is barely serviceable.
  I can elaborate on the issue with examples from real scores if you're
interested.

On Sunday 17 April 2016 11:29:15 D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> On 04/17/2016 10:51 AM, David Faure wrote:
> > I don't understand why this would require an unintuitive new shortcut.
> > What do we lose by letting Left/Right and Ctrl+Left/Right navigate to
> > the next segment automatically?
>
> > Or the other way around, what do we win by blocking navigation at the end
> > of a segment?
>
> You misunderstand me.  Your automatic segment selection idea is fine
> when the segments are linear, but if I have two overlapping segments
> with different voices at the same point in time, I have no way of
> switching from one to the other with the keyboard.  Since I'm not
> advancing horizontally, the auto-selector can do me no good here.
>
> Rosegarden could do with both, I think.  I realize the last thing we
> need is more shortcuts, and I'm open to other suggestions how to achieve
> the end result.  Having multiple voices at the same time is extremely
> common in all sorts of music, and it is a major thing we tried to bolt
> onto Rosegarden after the fact.

Oh I see. Things are indeed more complex than I thought - my use case is indeed linear segments only.

Then I agree, the auto-selection would only be useful in cases of linear segments,
and shortcuts would be needed otherwise.