file locking

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 03/20/2016 06:52 PM, Rosegarden SVN repository wrote:
> WIP: Improve file locking

I finally got a little time to try this.  I loaded file x and then I
tried to load file x with another instance of Rosegarden.  I got a could
not lock message, and the file failed to load with the new instance.

I created a directory with 755 perms owned by an invalid uuid, and a
file within that directory with 644 perms owned by the same invalid
uuid.  I could open the file with multiple instances of Rosegarden, and
I could save it with none of them.  Saving failed with a read only
message.  (It might be polite to go directly into the file save dialog
instead of failing with a cannot write dialog, but the behavior is
functionally fine.)

If I start Rosegarden with a file that's already open by another
instance, the splash screen gets stuck there until I clear the could not
lock dialog.

I did manage to get the file open by two instances at the same time.
After achieving this, I looked at Rosegarden.conf to make sure the
setting hadn't reverted.  It hadn't.  However, when I tried to repeat
the experiment, I did not reproduce the failure.  Blah.  I hate it when
that happens.  I have no idea what random thing I did to produce the
original failure.  I wasn't in test mode then.

Anyway, this is pretty much a thing now as far as I can see.  Nice work
so far!

Re: file locking

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 03/21/2016 08:16 AM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> If I start Rosegarden with a file that's already open by another
> instance, the splash screen gets stuck there until I clear the could not
> lock dialog.

Should be fixed in 14556.

Re: file locking

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 03/21/2016 08:55 AM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On 03/21/2016 08:16 AM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
>
>> If I start Rosegarden with a file that's already open by another
>> instance, the splash screen gets stuck there until I clear the could not
>> lock dialog.
>
> Should be fixed in 14556.

14557 rather.

Re: file locking

On 03/21/2016 08:16 AM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> Anyway, this is pretty much a thing now as far as I can see.  Nice work
> so far!

   Thanks for playing with it.  There are some more improvements now, os
it might be a little better.  I'll see if I can reproduce any of these
things you've found.