Xruns on close

Abrolag
I put a report about this on the bug list some time ago. Is there any chance of
this getting some love?

It puts me in a very awkward position when trying to demonstrate Yoshimi with
Rosegarden as the MIDI source. Rosegarden is my sequencer of choice and in
every other respect meets or exceeds the others, so I don't want to publicly
criticise, but at the same time don't want people getting the idea that Yoshimi
is prone to Xruns :(

--
W J G

Re: Xruns on close

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 07/16/2016 04:22 PM, Abrolag wrote:

> I put a report about this on the bug list some time ago. Is there any chance of
> this getting some love?

I have no idea how to help you man.  It's that simple.

Re: Xruns on close

Abrolag
On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 20:08:04 -0400
"D. Michael McIntyre" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/16/2016 04:22 PM, Abrolag wrote:
>
> > I put a report about this on the bug list some time ago. Is there any chance of
> > this getting some love?
>
> I have no idea how to help you man.  It's that simple.

I thought I'd see if I could work anything out myself, but after 3-4 hours of
looking over the code, I still didn't have any idea how all the bits link
together :(

Once again, I'm hoping to run a workshop at this year's LAC, and using
Rosegarden for demo work is *much* easier for me than any of the alternatives.
I would very much like to get through an entire session without any Xruns at
all - adds a touch of class.

Is it possible to discover who wrote the original code, and maybe gently tweak
their nose? Failing that, are there any other devs who might take a look at it?

Very many moons ago we had the same problem with Yoshimi, which turned out to
be two threads not being propperly joined when exiting, so maybe this is a
similar issue.

--
W J G

Re: Xruns on close

ram-19

You'd probably get a useful answer on LAD or jack-devel mailing lists.
They would be the ones to ask.

> On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 20:08:04 -0400
> "D. Michael McIntyre" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 07/16/2016 04:22 PM, Abrolag wrote:
>>
>> > I put a report about this on the bug list some time ago. Is there any
>> chance of
>> > this getting some love?
>>
>> I have no idea how to help you man.  It's that simple.
>
> I thought I'd see if I could work anything out myself, but after 3-4 hours
> of
> looking over the code, I still didn't have any idea how all the bits link
> together :(
>
> Once again, I'm hoping to run a workshop at this year's LAC, and using
> Rosegarden for demo work is *much* easier for me than any of the
> alternatives.
> I would very much like to get through an entire session without any Xruns
> at
> all - adds a touch of class.
>
> Is it possible to discover who wrote the original code, and maybe gently
> tweak
> their nose? Failing that, are there any other devs who might take a look
> at it?
>
> Very many moons ago we had the same problem with Yoshimi, which turned out
> be two threads not being propperly joined when exiting, so maybe this is a
> similar issue.
>
> --
> W J G

Re: Xruns on close

On 02/04/2017 04:32 PM, Abrolag wrote:

> I thought I'd see if I could work anything out myself, but after 3-4 hours of
> looking over the code, I still didn't have any idea how all the bits link
> together :(

I've never gotten anywhere with sequencer/audio stuff myself.

> Is it possible to discover who wrote the original code, and maybe gently tweak
> their nose? Failing that, are there any other devs who might take a look at it?

It was probably Richard Bown or Chris Cannam, neither of whom has been
active here in a number of years.

Did you ever file a bug report?  Ted Felix will tackle just about
anything if there is enough interest, but he loses track of email
easily.  He's basically the only guy I know with sufficient skill to
have a hope of getting into the head of the developers.  That code uses
a million deprecated things anyway, and should probably be on the
schedule for a big cleanup.

It could also be argued we should just eliminate audio and synth plugins
entirely.  Now that I've been using REAPER and the VST stuff on Windows,
I realize that there are dozens of missing features, like splitting
audio at the nearest zero crossing, crossfades, smooth management of
takes, and on and on.

I can finally understand why Richard just ditched the audio features in
his Windows fork.  We're not a lot more sophisticated than Audacity, but
we're a lot harder to get up and running than Audacity.

I could go either way on that one.  If I had a usable mixer for my damn
audio interface so I could use it with Linux, I might not be above
adding some of those features and making our audio side useful.  No
chance of that happening though.  That mixer is complicated, my time is
extremely limited, etc.

Anyway Will, I will definitely agree with you that looking at this crap
every time I close Rosegarden is getting on my nerves too:

'Jack::JackTemporaryException'
   what():

Re: Xruns on close

Abrolag
On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 13:12:36 -0500
"D. Michael McIntyre" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/04/2017 04:32 PM, Abrolag wrote:
>
> > I thought I'd see if I could work anything out myself, but after 3-4 hours of
> > looking over the code, I still didn't have any idea how all the bits link
> > together :(
>
> I've never gotten anywhere with sequencer/audio stuff myself.
>
> > Is it possible to discover who wrote the original code, and maybe gently tweak
> > their nose? Failing that, are there any other devs who might take a look at it?
>
> It was probably Richard Bown or Chris Cannam, neither of whom has been
> active here in a number of years.

Oh, shame :(

> Did you ever file a bug report?  Ted Felix will tackle just about
> anything if there is enough interest, but he loses track of email
> easily.  He's basically the only guy I know with sufficient skill to
> have a hope of getting into the head of the developers.  That code uses
> a million deprecated things anyway, and should probably be on the
> schedule for a big cleanup.

Yes. here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/rosegarden/bugs/1491/

> It could also be argued we should just eliminate audio and synth plugins
> entirely.  Now that I've been using REAPER and the VST stuff on Windows,
> I realize that there are dozens of missing features, like splitting
> audio at the nearest zero crossing, crossfades, smooth management of
> takes, and on and on.

Personally I'd be rather unhappy if that was done. I've got about 40 files with
mixed audio and MIDI tracks.

> I can finally understand why Richard just ditched the audio features in
> his Windows fork.  We're not a lot more sophisticated than Audacity, but
> we're a lot harder to get up and running than Audacity.

Just the ability to playback an audio track at the same time as recording MIDI
is incredibly useful

> I could go either way on that one.  If I had a usable mixer for my damn
> audio interface so I could use it with Linux, I might not be above
> adding some of those features and making our audio side useful.  No
> chance of that happening though.  That mixer is complicated, my time is
> extremely limited, etc.
>
> Anyway Will, I will definitely agree with you that looking at this crap
> every time I close Rosegarden is getting on my nerves too:

> 'Jack::JackTemporaryException'
>    what():

Well I shan't hold my breath, but just give a hopeful wave occasionally :)

--
W J G

Re: Xruns on close

Yves Guillemot
Le lundi 6 février 2017, 13:12:36 D. Michael McIntyre a écrit :

> Anyway Will, I will definitely agree with you that looking at this crap
> every time I close Rosegarden is getting on my nerves too:

> 'Jack::JackTemporaryException'
>    what():

Some destructors was never called when exiting RG.
Consequently, the jack client was not closed cleanly.

This should be fixed in rev. 14981.

I was unable to get reproducible xruns. So I dont' know if they are fixed.

Yves

Re: Xruns on close - not anymore :)

Abrolag
On Thu, 09 Feb 2017 17:20:43 +0100
Yves Guillemot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le lundi 6 février 2017, 13:12:36 D. Michael McIntyre a écrit :
> >
> > Anyway Will, I will definitely agree with you that looking at this crap
> > every time I close Rosegarden is getting on my nerves too:
> >
> > terminate called after throwing an instance of
> > 'Jack::JackTemporaryException'
> >    what():
>
> Some destructors was never called when exiting RG.
> Consequently, the jack client was not closed cleanly.
>
> This should be fixed in rev. 14981.
>
> I was unable to get reproducible xruns. So I dont' know if they are fixed.
>
> Yves

SUCCESS!

A nice clean exit, even with jack set at just 16 frames/period.

Thanks a lot. Very much appreciated.

--
W J G