Transposition In Rosegarden

Aere Greenway-2
I was experimenting using Rosegarden to transpose segments.

I select the option to have it change the key-signature.

I noticed when I took a piece in the key of C (no flats or sharps), and
transposed it up one half-step (+1), it changed the key-signature to 7
sharps.

This is correct, but this key is tonally the same as D-flat major (5
flats).

Wouldn't it be better to assume the lesser complexity (5 flats rather
than 7 sharps)?

Admittedly, there is a similar, more ambiguous situation, where a
transposition of 6 half-steps up (or 6 half-steps down), is either 6
sharps, or 6 flats, and how do you decide which to use?  The user might
want one, or the other.

I tried transposing up from C, up to D-flat, and opened the segment with
the notation editor, and the key-signature was 7 sharps, but with
flat-accidentals in front of most (but not all) of the notes.

So I wonder if transposition is working (notationally) as expected.

Tonally, the transposition sounds right, and it looks right in the
matrix editor.

I have attached the Rosegarden file I experimented with.

I'm using Rosegarden 15.12 (the version that comes with Ubuntu 16.04).

--
Sincerely,
Aere

PianoImprov-20160903.rg (31K) Download Attachment

Re: Transposition In Rosegarden

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 09/12/2016 01:48 PM, Aere Greenway wrote:

> Wouldn't it be better to assume the lesser complexity (5 flats rather
> than 7 sharps)?

Transpose up, go for sharps.  Transpose down, go for flats.  That's the
usual idea.

Transposed how?  There might be a dozen different ways.

So let's just look at the problem this way.  I have a blurb in C I want
to put in Db.  Can I do that?

Segment -> Add Key Change -> diddle controls...  works fine.

Adjust -> Transpose -> Transpose by interval... only works after
manually selecting all events, does not change key signature, but works
fine otherwise.

Segment -> Transpose by interval...  This yields the weird result you
described.  Sharp key signature, mixture of flat and sharp accidentals.
Pretty much all to hell.

Stuff like this interests me but I am drowning in work right now.  My
advice is to use what works and skip what's broken for the time being.

Re: Transposition In Rosegarden

Aere Greenway-2
Michael:

No problem.  It's just something I ran into, and wondered about.

I didn't realize you could select notes, and transpose just the selected
notes.  Thanks for pointing that out.

- Aere