The Over-Educated Trucker Blues

D. Michael McIntyre-3
I used Rosegarden to make a notation cheat sheet for this one.  All the
audio was recorded and diddled in REAPER.  The Over-Educated Trucker
Blues is my current high water mark as an artist, my chef d'oeuvre.  I
play bass, drums, rhythm guitar, lead guitar, trumpet, and I sing the
story of my life in this one.

https://youtu.be/JV2tBDKbIoU

Re: The Over-Educated Trucker Blues

David Jones
On 12/04/2016 09:26 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> I used Rosegarden to make a notation cheat sheet for this one.  All the
> audio was recorded and diddled in REAPER.  The Over-Educated Trucker
> Blues is my current high water mark as an artist, my chef d'oeuvre.  I
> play bass, drums, rhythm guitar, lead guitar, trumpet, and I sing the
> story of my life in this one.
>
> https://youtu.be/JV2tBDKbIoU

That is a true blues song, rooted in the blues of your life.

I like the sound. It's real vs the slick kinda stuff a lot of people put
out.

Is that your own personal studio setup? One awesome drumset! Accompanied
with the coolest looking beard and 'stache. You're certainly the best
looking trucker I've ever seen.

I tweeted the link, who knows, maybe my small collection of followers
will tweet it on and you'll go viral and sign record contracts and
become rich and famous. Of course, then you can't have the blues
anymore, so you'll have to subsist on guest appearances on Lady Gaga albums.

;)

--
David W. Jones
[hidden email]

On 12/06/2016 02:50 AM, david wrote:

> I like the sound. It's real vs the slick kinda stuff a lot of people put
> out.

The words that come to my mind are "not overly processed."  That's
largely because I'm not very good at mixing, and I didn't edit out all
of the mistakes.

> Is that your own personal studio setup?

Yes it is.

> One awesome drumset!

That is my baby.  It's a Gretsch Catalina Maple 7-piece, all the
hardware is top of the line Gibraltar, and all the cymbals are Zildjian
A Customs.  I have 16", 18", and 19" crashes, 8" and 10" splashes, 14"
hi-hats, a 20" ride and a 20" China.  I'm running a Remo Ambassador hazy
resonant and a Pinstripe batter on the snare, which gives it an unusual
old school sound.  The toms all have the factory coated Remo heads,
tuned for maximum resonance.

It's weird that I mostly listen to hard rock and metal, but the acoustic
sound I chased is more '70s.  If I want to drum like my favorite bands,
I need to mute the hell out of the toms, and mute the snare even more,
but I really like this sound.  I paid up to get it.  I could have aimed
higher on the shells, but I've seen touring bands with less kit than this.

> Accompanied
> with the coolest looking beard and 'stache. You're certainly the best
> looking trucker I've ever seen.

I'm the only guy wearing a Swiss automatic watch on the road, I can
almost guarantee.  I've always been a fop.  It comes from loving to play
dress-up as a kid, I think.  I haven't worn it yet, but I finally broke
down and bought a proper kilt too.

> I tweeted the link, who knows, maybe my small collection of followers
> will tweet it on and you'll go viral and sign record contracts and
> become rich and famous. Of course, then you can't have the blues
> anymore, so you'll have to subsist on guest appearances on Lady Gaga albums.
>
> ;)

It took a lifetime to come up with one good song, and I don't have much
hope of doing a world tour next week.  Also, the thing that makes me
interesting is I play everything myself, and that act doesn't translate
onto a stage.  Almost everything I do is put together with minimal
planning, and played stream of consciousness on the fly.

I find it really hard to get on the same page with other musicians.
Everybody wants to practice and play covers.  I guess I would do that if
I wanted to make other people happy, but I do music to make me happy.
If you don't like my stuff, that's fine.  I do what I do, and doing that
is the only reason I bother with any of this.

I'm too old and fat to be a rock star anyway.  The coke would kill me,
and I wouldn't know what to do with a willing woman.  I should probably
devote my next song to trying to get sex on the side as a married nerd
in the 21st century.  Spoiler alert, I never did get any.  Faithful by
way of a lack of options.  Maybe that will be my album title.

Re: The Over-Educated Trucker Blues

Abrolag
On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 02:26:41 -0500
"D. Michael McIntyre" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I used Rosegarden to make a notation cheat sheet for this one.  All the
> audio was recorded and diddled in REAPER.  The Over-Educated Trucker
> Blues is my current high water mark as an artist, my chef d'oeuvre.  I
> play bass, drums, rhythm guitar, lead guitar, trumpet, and I sing the
> story of my life in this one.
>
> https://youtu.be/JV2tBDKbIoU

Well it took a while to get round to this, but it's great. A 'spit 'n sawdust'
song that's a welcome change from all the processed to perfection 'formula'
stuff the music industry pumps out.

--
W J G