Sending MIDI events to armed tracks

Cyr Bol
Hello list,

I would like to know what happened to the functionality described in the following feature requests (from 2006):

https://sourceforge.net/p/rosegarden/feature-requests/271/
https://sourceforge.net/p/rosegarden/feature-requests/239/
https://sourceforge.net/p/rosegarden/feature-requests/263/

Did it ever get implemented?

As far as I'm concerned (I'm using Rosegarden 15 from kxstudio repos), this feature is not there.

If this feature hasn't been implemented, can anyone explain why and what happened to the svn implementation referenced in these feature requests (see https://sourceforge.net/p/rosegarden/feature-requests/271/#3158 and https://sourceforge.net/p/rosegarden/feature-requests/239/#b436)?

I would really like to see this feature coming in next versions of RG and might be able to help with devel if needed (though, given the fact that it hasn't been implemented, I guess it's not as simple as it seems).

Best regards,

Cyrille

Re: Sending MIDI events to armed tracks

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 02/02/2016 08:10 AM, Cyr Bol wrote:

> I would like to know what happened to the functionality described in the
> following feature requests (from 2006):

It's right there in the Track Parameters box where Pedro put it 10 years
ago.

It works.

I set up one track to record from my keyboard on channel 3 only.  I set
my keyboard up to split output to channels 3 and 4.

I set up another track to record from my drum brain on channel 10 only.

I set up another track to record from my drum brain on channel 1 only.

I set Rosegarden to record.  I played keys on both sides of the split on
my keyboard, and started a demo sequence on the drum brain.

I recorded keyboard notes from channel 3, drums from channel 10, and
drum brain accompaniment from channel 1.

I played all of this back to totally different devices from the ones
that originated the data.

It looks like everything is working fine to me.  You obviously spent a
lot of time digging, so either our interface is horribly confusing, or
maybe kxstudio is supplying extremely broken Rosegarden packages.

I'll be happy to walk you through it sometime, but at the moment I'm
investigating a bug that is interfering with a composition I'm trying to
write.

Re: Sending MIDI events to armed tracks

Cyr Bol
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your time.

As you say: it works when "I set Rosegarden to record".

But, when you are not recording, all events go to the currently selected track. So, your splitted keyboard configuration is gone, which makes it diffcult (for me) to compose using RG.

Can you confirm this behaviour? Otherwise, I'll go back to RG interface and try to understand what I'm not doing right.

Thanks again,

Cyrille

On 02/02/2016 08:58 AM, Cyr Bol wrote:

> But, when you are not recording, all events go to the currently selected
> track. So, your splitted keyboard configuration is gone, which makes it
> diffcult (for me) to compose using RG.

Ah, yes.  Pedro even talked about this 10 years ago, in one of the
messages you cited earlier.  The advanced routing stuff only works while
recording.  At other times, the routing is completely different.

I understand what you're getting at now.  You're sitting on a
harpsichord track, and you expect to hear a harpsichord when you play
your keyboard, but instead you hear drums or something.

I have been running into this issue frequently since I started building
my current studio.  As far as I can tell, the MIDI THRU routing couples
whatever you're playing to the top-most track that's armed for
recording, and that's all the finesse you get.

I wouldn't mind seeing some other solution to this myself, but I'm not
in a position to contribute any work on this anytime in the foreseeable
future.

Re: Sending MIDI events to armed tracks

On 02/02/2016 08:58 AM, Cyr Bol wrote:
> As you say: it works when "I set Rosegarden to record".
>
> But, when you are not recording, all events go to the currently selected
> track. So, your splitted keyboard configuration is gone, which makes it
> diffcult (for me) to compose using RG.
>
> Can you confirm this behaviour?

   This is indeed standard rg behavior.

  If you want to start digging, the MIDI dataflows on the wiki are a
good roadmap to start with. They don't cover the thru path, but you
should find it nearby:

http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/wiki/dev:midi_dataflows

   Regardless, please open a bug report in the bug tracker so we can
track this issue.  The mailing list is too ephemeral.

https://sourceforge.net/p/rosegarden/bugs/

Re: Sending MIDI events to armed tracks

Cyr Bol
Hi Ted,

Thanks for the link.

I'll have a look at it. And create a bug report (not today unfortunatelly)

I will see if I can help/code also.

Cyrille

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Ted Felix <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 02/02/2016 08:58 AM, Cyr Bol wrote:
> As you say: it works when "I set Rosegarden to record".
>
> But, when you are not recording, all events go to the currently selected
> track. So, your splitted keyboard configuration is gone, which makes it
> diffcult (for me) to compose using RG.
>
> Can you confirm this behaviour?

   This is indeed standard rg behavior.

  If you want to start digging, the MIDI dataflows on the wiki are a
good roadmap to start with. They don't cover the thru path, but you
should find it nearby:

http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/wiki/dev:midi_dataflows

   Regardless, please open a bug report in the bug tracker so we can
track this issue.  The mailing list is too ephemeral.

https://sourceforge.net/p/rosegarden/bugs/

Re: Sending MIDI events to armed tracks

Aere Greenway-2
On 02/02/2016 06:58 AM, Cyr Bol wrote:
> But, when you are not recording, all events go to the currently
> selected track. So, your splitted keyboard configuration is gone,
> which makes it diffcult (for me) to compose using RG.

I work around that by routing my MIDI output to Qsynth.  With Rosegarden
just running, it's input is connected to some other MIDI device I'm not
sending on, so I don't get double-output on the selected track.

When I'm ready to record, I record to Rosegarden (and can monitor it,
connecting Rosegarden output to Qsynth).  The Rosegarden input is my
MIDI device (two different channels, with MIDI filters in-place).

When I play-back on Rosegarden, it also goes to Qsynth, so I hear then
what I actually recorded recorded.

Yes, it is a hassle...

--
Sincerely,
Aere

Re: Sending MIDI events to armed tracks

Cyr Bol
Hi Aere,

Yeah, that's not such a bad solution.

I only see 2 downsides:

The first, not that important, is that you have the additional work of routing the events to Qsynth or wathever with jackcrontrol. But, that's not too bad. At least it works.

The second one is much more embarasing because your solution makes difficult the use of any DSSI or LADSPA plugins in RG for these instruments.

If I understand correctly, with your solution, DSSI or LADSPA plugins would be usable in RG. But, one could not hear the real (recorded) sound of its instrument while not recording, unless its track is selected. In the end, hearing the real, recorded, sound of 2 or more instruments at the same time without recording (just to have an idea how they sound together) would be impossible.

Cyrille

On 02/03/2016 02:41 AM, Cyr Bol wrote:

> Yeah, that's not such a bad solution.
>
> I only see 2 downsides:
>
> The first, not that important, is that you have the additional work of
> routing the events to Qsynth or wathever with jackcrontrol. But,
> that's not too bad. At least it works.
>
> The second one is much more embarasing because your solution makes
> difficult the use of any DSSI or LADSPA plugins in RG for these
> instruments.
>
> If I understand correctly, with your solution, DSSI or LADSPA plugins
> would be usable in RG. But, one could not hear the real (recorded)
> sound of its instrument while not recording, unless its track is
> selected. In the end, hearing the real, recorded, sound of 2 or more
> instruments at the same time without recording (just to have an idea
> how they sound together) would be impossible.

Cyrille:

Although I have experimented with (and tested) DSSI plugins, I don't
actually use them, so I am likely unaware of the implications for those
instruments.

There is another way to play (and hear) multiple instruments at the same
time, and you don't necessarily have to limit the range of your keyboard
to do it.

I do it by making use of the MIDI router 'qmidiroute'.

I use it to create layered voices (what I call composite voices), and
use them in performing.

I wrote (for my product, the KeyMusician Keyboard), a couple of
newsletter articles on using qmidiroute.  If you are interested, you can
read them at:

Composite (Layered) Voices
https://member.keymusician.com/Newsletter/CV-Balance/index.html

Multiple-Instrument Combinations
https://member.keymusician.com/Newsletter/BigBand-MidiRouter/index.html

--
Sincerely,
Aere

Re: Sending MIDI events to armed tracks

Aere Greenway-2
On 02/03/2016 02:41 AM, Cyr Bol wrote:
> If I understand correctly, with your solution, DSSI or LADSPA plugins
> would be usable in RG. But, one could not hear the real (recorded)
> sound of its instrument while not recording, unless its track is
> selected. In the end, hearing the real, recorded, sound of 2 or more
> instruments at the same time without recording (just to have an idea
> how they sound together) would be impossible.
Cyrille:

You might be able to solve this problem by using the 'ghostess' package,
which is a host for DSSI plugins that can be used in performing live.

--
Sincerely,
Aere