Rulers in notation editor don't appear

Fernando A. Martin

Hi.

I'm using Manjaro Linux, regularly updated, with KDE 5 (Plasma 5) and Roegarden 16.06-2. However in notation editor I'm not being able to open any ruler. If I open a notation segment and then click click on the button "Add Control Ruler" and choose any of the rulers not one of them appears. I can try the same using the menu View / Rulers / Add Control Rulers and choose one of the rulers that nothing appears.

I used the first compilation of Rosegarden 16.06 in PCLinuxOS and didn't have the same problem. (I had a lot of issues with audio apps in pclos but this one.)

So, is it some issue specific to Manjaro or KDE 5 or is it a new bug of the new compilations of Rosegarden?

Can you help me with this situation, please?

Thank you very much.

Re: Rulers in notation editor don't appear

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 01/03/2017 06:07 PM, Fernando A. Martin wrote:

> button "Add Control Ruler" and choose any of the rulers not one of them
> appears. I can try the same using the menu View / Rulers / Add Control
> Rulers and choose one of the rulers that nothing appears.

https://sourceforge.net/p/rosegarden/bugs/1543/

The interim solution is to build against Qt4, where the rulers work just
fine.

I'm treating this like a Qt5 on KDE5 bug, of which there are several
others, but it may be a more generic Qt5 bug that is
desktop-independent.  I don't remember exactly how creation of those
rulers works at runtime, but I do remember it is fairly hacky and
complicated.  It's highly possible that the mechanism used did not
translate to Qt5 successfully, and we are only now discovering this.

I'll be holding up the already delayed December release until this one
is fixed.  Unless somebody beats me to it, I'll look into this over the
weekend.

Re: Rulers in notation editor don't appear

Lorenzo Sutton
On 04/01/17 00:07, Fernando A. Martin wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm using Manjaro Linux, regularly updated, with KDE 5 (Plasma 5) and
> Roegarden 16.06-2. However in notation editor I'm not being able to open
> any ruler. If I open a notation segment and then click click on the
> button "Add Control Ruler" and choose any of the rulers not one of them
> appears. I can try the same using the menu View / Rulers / Add Control
> Rulers and choose one of the rulers that nothing appears.
>
> I used the first compilation of Rosegarden 16.06 in PCLinuxOS and didn't
> have the same problem. (I had a lot of issues with audio apps in pclos
> but this one.)
>
> So, is it some issue specific to Manjaro or KDE 5 or is it a new bug of
> the new compilations of Rosegarden?
>
> Can you help me with this situation, please?

I guess this is not of much help for the situation, but here on Fedora
24 XFCE with Rosegarden 16.13 (compiled 2a405f6b90 i.e. I guess probably
the latest or very recent SVN) and Qt 5.6.2 (default distro package),
the rulers work in both notation and matrix editors.

Maybe try, if you can, compiling the latest SVN version and see what
happens?

Lorenzo.

Re: Rulers in notation editor don't appear

Fernando A. Martin
Michael himself started a bug report on sourceforge.
Here's what we found:
Michael's words:
"As discovered by Fernando A. Martin, Add Control Ruler to add, for example, a reverb control ruler does not work in the notation or matrix editors in Qt5 builds running on KDE 5. Did not determine if this also happens on other desktops. Qt4 builds running on KDE 5 are not affected by this bug.

Bug #1542 discusses mostly cosmetic issues arising from running on a KDE that is built with the same Qt version as Rosegarden. This bug involves functionality that is completely missing and broken under these conditions."

Fernando Martin's words:

"Hi Michael.
I tried to install XFCE on Manjaro using the graphical package manager Octopi. (Later I found documentation saying that this proccess should be done using command line.) The result was a very damaged XFCE desktop, almost unusable. But at least I was able to activate Whisker menu, launch Rosegarden and open notation editor. Under XFCE, rulers appeared in notation editor at very first click.
Now we have at least one thing tested: The bug didn't happen in XFCE, a GTK based DE. So it seems that the bug is related to QT5 builds running on KDE5."

If you want to check, it's bug report number #1543.

Thank you for testing too.