Rosegarden on Raspberry Pi

Todd Pierce
Hello All,

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but has Rosegarden been ported to the Raspberry Pi ARM processor?

People have been worried that the Pi wouldn't be powerful enough, but don't you think that a quad core 900 MHz processor  with 1Gb of RAM is good enough?

Any advice is appreciated.

Sincerely,

-Todd

Re: Rosegarden on Raspberry Pi

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 01/20/2016 12:30 PM, Todd Pierce wrote:

> Forgive me if this has been asked before, but has Rosegarden been ported
> to the Raspberry Pi ARM processor?

I haven't tried, but I think it's probably pretty straightforward.  I've
cross-compiled other Qt applications for two different ARM platforms.
Building the core application should be quite simple; especially since
you can build it from within a running environment.

I'm not completely sure about the many dependencies, but it seems likely
that they're all achievable.

> People have been worried that the Pi wouldn't be powerful enough, but
> don't you think that a quad core 900 MHz processor  with 1Gb of RAM is
> good enough?

To test this, I fired Rosegarden up on my rather faster quad core and
opened just a stupid number of editor windows.  I monitored my CPU
activity, and it seemed to be distributed pretty well across the cores.

Ted Felix reduced Rosegarden's CPU usage very dramatically since the
last time I tested on lower spec hardware.  I probably could have
managed to make this go a few years ago, and today, the chances are
considerably better.

I'd go for it.  It will probably work.

Re: Rosegarden on Raspberry Pi

On 01/20/2016 12:30 PM, Todd Pierce wrote:
> People have been worried that the Pi wouldn't be powerful enough, but don't
> you think that a quad core 900 MHz processor  with 1Gb of RAM is good
> enough?

   It should be.  However, rg is still somewhat wasteful of CPU, so it
might not work well.  A MIDI sequencer should run fine at 900MHz on a
single core.  I run CakeWalk on an old 1GHz machine with no problems at
all.  Lots of CPU left over.

Re: Rosegarden on Raspberry Pi

Abrolag
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 18:57:11 -0500
Ted Felix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/20/2016 12:30 PM, Todd Pierce wrote:
> > People have been worried that the Pi wouldn't be powerful enough, but don't
> > you think that a quad core 900 MHz processor  with 1Gb of RAM is good
> > enough?
>
>    It should be.  However, rg is still somewhat wasteful of CPU, so it
> might not work well.  A MIDI sequencer should run fine at 900MHz on a
> single core.  I run CakeWalk on an old 1GHz machine with no problems at
> all.  Lots of CPU left over.
>
> Ted.

Just poking my nose in (again)

As I remember ARM cores manage significantly fewer clock cycles per
instruction, so CPU frequency is not such a reliable guide.

--
W J G

Re: Rosegarden on Raspberry Pi

Ted Felix-2
On 01/20/2016 08:00 PM, Abrolag wrote:
> As I remember ARM cores manage significantly fewer clock cycles per
> instruction, so CPU frequency is not such a reliable guide.

   Yeah.  It's never a reliable guide.  You never really know what'll
run until you try it.

On 01/20/2016 06:57 PM, Ted Felix wrote:

>     It should be.  However, rg is still somewhat wasteful of CPU, so it
> might not work well.  A MIDI sequencer should run fine at 900MHz on a
> single core.  I run CakeWalk on an old 1GHz machine with no problems at
> all.  Lots of CPU left over.

I ran Cakewalk on an old 486-33 with no problems at all.  Or maybe I was
up to the 486DX4-66 by then.

Rosegarden is still VASTLY better than it was before all your
optimization work.

Re: Rosegarden on Raspberry Pi

Lorenzo Sutton

On 21/01/2016 12:59, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On 01/20/2016 06:57 PM, Ted Felix wrote:
>
>>      It should be.  However, rg is still somewhat wasteful of CPU, so it
>> might not work well.  A MIDI sequencer should run fine at 900MHz on a
>> single core.  I run CakeWalk on an old 1GHz machine with no problems at
>> all.  Lots of CPU left over.
>
> I ran Cakewalk on an old 486-33 with no problems at all.  Or maybe I was
> up to the 486DX4-66 by then.

I ran Cakewalk for DOS on a 386, but we're talking about a midi only
application. Are you talking about cakewalk with audio, VST (or
whatever) synth plugins etc.?

Lorenzo.

On 01/21/2016 09:33 AM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

> I ran Cakewalk for DOS on a 386, but we're talking about a midi only
> application. Are you talking about cakewalk with audio, VST (or
> whatever) synth plugins etc.?

I think it had extremely early and rudimentary audio support, but
nothing like VSTs or other plugins yet.  However, I was just comparing
basic MIDI to basic MIDI performance.  It used to kill me that
Rosegarden would barely function on a 1 GHz machine for doing straight
up data pumping through a hardware MIDI interface, which is where this
old comparison comes from.

Even then, the comparison wasn't fair.  That machine and OS wasn't doing
any heavy multitasking or low latency anything.  The graphics across the
board, and especially in Cakewalk, were vastly less sophisticated, and
on and on.

On 01/21/2016 12:01 PM, Todd Pierce wrote:

> I'll make sure to document the entire process so it's available to
> everybody when (arrogant confidence) I'm done.  I'm going to schedule a
> couple of hours to cry in advance and then get started.

I'm the guy who tried the "zero downtime" installation option for
Debian.  I bootstrapped my next distro from a running Mandrake,
chroot'ed into it, installed all the packages (which tied up my
telephone line for 36 straight hours), and configured the thing, all
from a running distro of a totally foreign nature.

It booted!

Getting Rosegarden to run on a little ARM box seems like the same spirit
of crazy just because, so it immediately earns my respect!  :-D