Rosegarden for audio

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 06/26/2016 01:02 PM, Aere Greenway wrote:

 > It's nice to know that other people (you) use Rosegarden for audio
 > recording.

I thought I was the only one.

 > I use it, and a friend of mine uses it in that way.
 >
 > I use it because it is the tool I know.

Historically, I used Rosegarden for audio out of familiarity, and
because I was already composing something with MIDI.  These days, I'm
not sure what direction I'm about to take.  Pretty much everything I
ever composed started with an electronic drum loop that repeats 50,000
times, and now I'm recording live acoustic drums.  It changes everything
forever.  (It's also "a positive presence in our house," according to my
son.)

 > I have made several attempts at using Ardour, and have never yet been
 > successful.

I actually wrote some documentation for Ardour once upon a time, but I
haven't attempted it in years.  I'll probably avoid it if I can satisfy
my needs with Rosegarden, just because Rosegarden is already there and
familiar.

As far as what I was hinting at with my comments earlier...  I've got a
bunch of microphones hooked up to this thing, and I find managing a
fairly large number of mono inputs with Rosegarden is confusing and
awkward.  Audio #2 is set to In 2 L and Audio #3 is set to In 2 R and
what exactly is connected to what via JACK and the actual hardware
cabling?  Treating everything like stereo pairs is pretty unwieldy for
my purposes, and I am going to think about rethinking that.

I don't have any proposals yet.  Nor do I have much time for development
these days.  I spend most of my very tiny amount of spare time playing
drums or working in the flower beds.