Re: the Zyn tutorial; and praise

Leszek Wroński
I just want to say that while I have now, thanks to Holger's suggestions, managed to get the basic functionality I had initially wanted, I'm still very much interested in what I was doing wrong with respect to the connection with ZynAddSubFX. If you do find some time to respond, I'd be very grateful.

I'll eventually be editing some scores with Lilypond which I want to transcribe using MIDI from a copy of a manuscript. At this moment I can tell that, in regular (non-rt-kernel) 14.04 Ubuntu, Rosegarden's MIDI record option with a posteriori quantization is miles better than what Finale 2012 (I haven't upgraded yet, since I moved to Lilypond) offers in Windows 7. That is, I recorded a line with a lot of triplets, and while it initially displayed incorrectly (of course), using Rosegarden's quantization function with the 'triplet' option transformed it into a perfect copy (pitch- and note-duration-wise) of the manuscript. That's the first time I've seen something like this. Fantastic!

Cheers,

Leszek.

From: "D. Michael
McIntyre" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 17:12:35 -0500
Subject: Re: [Rosegarden-user] problem with basic functionality (tracks, instruments, ZynAddSubFX connection)
On 01/09/2016 01:19 PM, Leszek Wroński wrote:

My first modest goal is to successfully go through this tutorial:
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/tutorials/supplemental/zyn/zyn.html

I will go through all of this with you when I get the time.  I sat down to do it here and now, but this is going to be somewhat involved, and I have a very long day of work ahead of me.  I have to go deal with that and recover before I will have the energy to help.  It will probably be a day or longer before I get back to you, but I will.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Re: the Zyn tutorial; and praise

D. Michael McIntyre-3
Credit for the quantization goes to none other than Chris Cannam.

I have had a troubled relationship with Rosegarden over the years, and
there have been times when I was ready to throw my hands up in
frustration and do something more fun for a hobby.  On one such
occasion, I made the rounds and tried demo versions of all the big
dollar commercial toys.  The weird Linux hybrid audio-notation-sequencer
thing trounces all of them.  It's true.

Rosegarden is very weird, and many things are not especially friendly,
but I deal with the whole tangled mess for the notation quantizer.  It
is the jewel in Rosegarden's crown.

Heh.  Rosegarden's crown of thorns, I should say.  Well, the application
IS named after a funeral of sores.