Re: [Rosegarden-user] Cross-platform Rosegarden

Re: [Rosegarden-user] Cross-platform Rosegarden

ram-19
Hi Michael,

Almost every project I've seen that tried to go "multi-platform" broke the
Linux version and ultimately lost the bulk of its developers and users.
There are a few exceptions to that rule, but they are far and few in
between.
Just my observation.

ram

Re: [Rosegarden-user] Cross-platform Rosegarden

David Faure
On dimanche 24 juillet 2016 20:41:51 CEST [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Almost every project I've seen that tried to go "multi-platform" broke the
> Linux version and ultimately lost the bulk of its developers and users.

I really can't agree to that statement, especially for projects based on Qt.

For instance the KDE community has had good success in bringing Linux apps to
Windows and Mac: Krita, Kate, and many more.

This is made possible because the underlying libraries are cross platform
already: Qt, KF5, etc.

Many other Qt apps not from the KDE community also work equally great on all
three desktop platforms.

Usually the Linux version remains the best working one because the bulk of the
developer community is still using Linux (a vastly superior OS when it comes
to development itself). So the ones working on porting to Windows or Mac
sometimes complain that the Linux devs break the Windows/Mac ports,
but it's rarely the other way around. Especially if you guys get a Linux CI
first [something which would come for free if the code would move to the KDE
intrastructure or, AFAIK, to github].

--
David Faure, [hidden email], http://www.davidfaure.fr
Working on KDE Frameworks 5

Re: [Rosegarden-user] Cross-platform Rosegarden

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 07/24/2016 04:54 PM, David Faure wrote:
> On dimanche 24 juillet 2016 20:41:51 CEST [hidden email] wrote:

>> Almost every project I've seen that tried to go "multi-platform" broke the
>> Linux version and ultimately lost the bulk of its developers and users.
>
> I really can't agree to that statement, especially for projects based on Qt.

This is a legitimate concern, and that is basically what happened with
earlier Windows ports of Rosegarden.  The difference this time is that I
am a Linux guy who uses Windows reluctantly.

As David points out, Qt applications are very portable.  I have some
experience porting Qt applications to other platforms, and it generally
goes very smoothly.  The problem with Rosegarden is all its hard ties to
APIs that only exist on Linux.

> Usually the Linux version remains the best working one because the bulk of the
> developer community is still using Linux (a vastly superior OS when it comes
> to development itself).

More true words were never spoken.  Windows is an evil environment for
development.  I wish it were possible to cross-compile from Linux, the
way it is for Android apps.

On dimanche 24 juillet 2016 20:09:39 CEST D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> > Usually the Linux version remains the best working one because the bulk of
> > the developer community is still using Linux (a vastly superior OS when
> > it comes to development itself).
>
> More true words were never spoken.  Windows is an evil environment for
> development.  I wish it were possible to cross-compile from Linux, the
> way it is for Android apps.

That is actually possible.

* With mingw

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2033997/howto-compile-for-windows-on-linux-with-gcc-g
http://silmor.de/qtstuff.mingw.php

* With MXE

http://mxe.cc/
This is much more recent so it might be more experimental. OTOH I see that it builds on
top of mingw, so I guess it's just the upper layer (taking care of cmake integration etc.)

However we're not using any of this in the KDE community because, well,
compiling is one thing, but what about testing? :-)
mingw is only useful to check if the commit you're about to push doesn't break
compilation on Windows, but that's about it. If it makes the app crash on startup,
you'll need Windows to find out (there's WINE but that's still not the real thing
and most likely creates more problems).

In KDE we use emerge instead, on Windows.
Mostly useful if you want to automate building your dependencies as well.
 https://github.com/KDE/emerge
 https://community.kde.org/Windows
 https://community.kde.org/Mac
 http://kfunk.org/2016/06/18/kde-on-windows-update/
 https://the2ring.blogspot.de/2016/07/the-end-of-kde-emerge-and-its-rise.html

--
David Faure, [hidden email], http://www.davidfaure.fr
Working on KDE Frameworks 5

Re: [Rosegarden-user] Cross-platform Rosegarden

Dr Nicholas J Bailey
On Sunday, 24 July 2016 20:09:39 BST D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On 07/24/2016 04:54 PM, David Faure wrote:
> > On dimanche 24 juillet 2016 20:41:51 CEST [hidden email] wrote:
> > Usually the Linux version remains the best working one because the bulk of
> > the developer community is still using Linux (a vastly superior OS when
> > it comes to development itself).
>
> More true words were never spoken.  Windows is an evil environment for
> development.  I wish it were possible to cross-compile from Linux, the
> way it is for Android apps.

Then again...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ubuntu-and-bash-arrive-on-windows-10/

(Of course, why put up with that when you can have the real thing?)

We have Wine, they have WSL?

I've not tried it myself.

Nick/.

On lundi 1 août 2016 16:03:14 CEST Nicholas Bailey wrote:

> On Sunday, 24 July 2016 20:09:39 BST D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> > On 07/24/2016 04:54 PM, David Faure wrote:
> > > On dimanche 24 juillet 2016 20:41:51 CEST [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > > Usually the Linux version remains the best working one because the bulk
> > > of
> > > the developer community is still using Linux (a vastly superior OS when
> > > it comes to development itself).
> >
> > More true words were never spoken.  Windows is an evil environment for
> > development.  I wish it were possible to cross-compile from Linux, the
> > way it is for Android apps.
>
> Then again...
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/article/ubuntu-and-bash-arrive-on-windows-10/
>
> (Of course, why put up with that when you can have the real thing?)
>
> We have Wine, they have WSL?
>
> I've not tried it myself.

My colleagues who tried said this wasn't ready for running GUI applications
yet. You can start XMing and run some basic apps but it's quite unstable.
(and for KDE apps, dbus is the next blocker, although I suppose this isn't an
issue for rosegarden). Anyhow the need to start an X server sounds like it
would make the app look and behave quite alien, compared to a native build.