Re: MIDI

Ross Vandegrift-2
On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 03:15:51AM -0400, Silvan wrote:
> These new kids have no idea what we used to have to go through.  I was telling
> Phil Jackson in a long retrospective ramble about how back when I started
> with Linux, getting my ens1371's external MIDI port to work involved
> discovering what ALSA was, and then figuring out how to compile my kernel to
> get it.

LOL, I think the exact same almost every time I have to change
something - "gaddammit, it used to be so simple!  What's all this crap
that just breaks?!"

I usually cuss for a while, and then read enough documentation to turn
off all the jazz.  Of course, I recently learned the hard way that if
I wanted USB support, I had to bite the bullet and drink the hotplug
punch...

> Soundcard mixer programs still suck though.  That used to be easier before
> everything became ALSA-aware.  Now everything has 57 sliders with names like
> "Obfuscated Dingleflootchie 89327 TTL" and not one damn one of them controls
> the volume.  Playing things is not so hard, but figuring out how to record a
> guitar without recording the MIDI drums in the background is maddening.

This is an advantage to the nicer soundcards.  envy24mixer, for
ice1712 chips, is a great program.  Controls the hardware's level, the
capture volume, and the hardware mixer.  Has the audio router
integrated as well as clocking controls.  It's pretty sweet.

I do agree that alsamixer is a bit obscure ::-)

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."

Re: MIDI

dmmcintyr (Bugzilla)
On Wednesday 11 May 2005 06:33 pm, [hidden email] wrote:

> > started with Linux, getting my ens1371's external MIDI port to work
> > involved discovering what ALSA was, and then figuring out how to compile
> > my kernel to get it.

> LOL, I think the exact same almost every time I have to change
> something - "gaddammit, it used to be so simple!  What's all this crap
> that just breaks?!"

Yeah, or some genius at distro central decides to try to make things easier by
going to great pains to disable tools that have worked perfectly for years,
forcing you instead to use new, fancier tools that just don't do the bliffin'
job.  <cough>Ubuntu</cough>  Then you have to go dig into their docs to read
how to un-hack their hack and unprotect yourself from yourself and get back
to work.

> I usually cuss for a while, and then read enough documentation to turn
> off all the jazz.  Of course, I recently learned the hard way that if
> I wanted USB support, I had to bite the bullet and drink the hotplug
> punch...

Yeah, and it's a PITA when it doesn't work correctly, isn't it?  :(  I don't
have any USB stuff, and, in fact, my USB ports on this box broke six months
ago, and I haven't really missed them except when that USB soundcard I tried
to play with didn't work.  I get to maintain Mom's box though, and she's
fully into the USB universe with both feet.  Bleah.  Wacom graphics tablet,
USB mouse, USB printer, USB scanner, USB camera, USB memory sticks.  Urf.

I still haven't figured out how it came to pass that serial is better than
parallel.  WTF?  Not in the world I grew up in, buddy.

> This is an advantage to the nicer soundcards.  envy24mixer, for
> ice1712 chips, is a great program.  Controls the hardware's level, the
> capture volume, and the hardware mixer.  Has the audio router
> integrated as well as clocking controls.  It's pretty sweet.

I'm sold on buying one of those just as soon as I can afford a new computer
then.  (I'm out of slots, can't give anything up unless one of these envy24
things has an ethernet adapter built into it.  :)

> I do agree that alsamixer is a bit obscure ::-)

Saying it's "a bit obscure" is sort of like saying a woman is "just a little
pregnant."  :)

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <[hidden email]>
Linux fanatic, and certified Geek;  registered Linux user #243621