Re: Holger's suggestion

Leszek Wroński
Thank you very much. Using the 'manage synth plugins' window I load the FluidSynth DSSI plugin. Then using the editor I locate the soundfont and choose the instrument. Then I can play and record with it with no problems.

However issues start when I want to use a different instrument in a different track. I hope the intended functionality is that I can click. say on Track 1, and my keyboard will play the instrument associated with Track 1, and when I click on Track 2, pressing the keys will play the instrument associated with Track 2. So I want to have two different instruments from the same soundfont associated with different tracks. The only way I was able to do it was to load in the 'Manage Synth Plugins' menu the Fluid-Synth DSSI plugin TWICE, for rows "1" and "2", and then load the soundfont TWICE. I guess that's not the way to do this, since it's so inefficient -- so how does one do this properly?

But the bigger problem is, once I have one copy of the plugin doing its magic for Track 1, and another working its tricks for Track 2, so that the instruments I hear really change when I click the different tracks, then all the sounds are crackled. When I save the *.rg file, exit the program, relaunch and load it again, the sound is fine. How can I avoid doing this all the time?

Now, I'm trying to avoid using Jack to make connections at all. Not using any standalone synth, it seems that to hear anything, I need to connect, in the 'MIDI Playback' menu 'Rosegarden playback device' to MIDI Through. Is that right?

Thank you very much again,

Leszek.

I recommend installing and loading fluidsynth-dssi into a
Rosegarden-track of type "Synthesizer Plugin". Then load a GM soundfont
into fluidsynth. Most distributions offer the package
fluid-soundfont-gm, a very good soundfont that resides in
/usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2 after installation.

Using the plugin makes it simple to save the settings with your song and
offers as low latency as possible.

You can find other good soundfonts all over the web.

Regards
Holger

Re: Holger's suggestion

Holger Marzen
On Sun, 10 Jan 2016, Leszek Wroński wrote:

> Thank you very much. Using the 'manage synth plugins' window I load the
> FluidSynth DSSI plugin. Then using the editor I locate the soundfont and
> choose the instrument. Then I can play and record with it with no problems.
>
> However issues start when I want to use a different instrument in a
> different track. I hope the intended functionality is that I can click. say
> on Track 1, and my keyboard will play the instrument associated with Track
> 1, and when I click on Track 2, pressing the keys will play the instrument
> associated with Track 2. So I want to have two different instruments from
> the same soundfont associated with different tracks. The only way I was
> able to do it was to load in the 'Manage Synth Plugins' menu the
> Fluid-Synth DSSI plugin TWICE, for rows "1" and "2", and then load the
> soundfont TWICE. I guess that's not the way to do this, since it's so
> inefficient -- so how does one do this properly?
I do it exactly that way. I have even the same soundfont in different
tracks, because I want to mix, pan and process them idepently. No reverb
for the kick drum, reverb for the snare and the toms.

> But the bigger problem is, once I have one copy of the plugin doing its
> magic for Track 1, and another working its tricks for Track 2, so that the
> instruments I hear really change when I click the different tracks, then
> all the sounds are crackled. When I save the *.rg file, exit the program,
> relaunch and load it again, the sound is fine. How can I avoid doing this
> all the time?

I never experienced this. Maybe it's some kind of CPU problem, running
on the limit. Do you have "RT" values (bottom of the Rosegarden window)
bigger than 50? Try to double jackd's -p value (period size).

> Now, I'm trying to avoid using Jack to make connections at all. Not using
> any standalone synth, it seems that to hear anything, I need to connect, in
> the 'MIDI Playback' menu 'Rosegarden playback device' to MIDI Through. Is
> that right?

The sounds that are produced by synth plugins go to audio connections,
not MIDI connections. If you have no other programs or hardware that
needs MIDI data then don't mind about Rosegarden's MIDI out, only audio.

I recommend:
- Start jackd manually, e.g. via Qjackctl or a shell script
- Configure Rosegarden in Edit -> Preferences -> Audio
  uncheck "Start JACK automatically"
  check "Make default JACK connections for audio outputs"

Regards
Holger

Re: Holger's suggestion

Leszek Wroński
Thank you very much again. Indeed Rosegarden displays a warning and tells me to run 'sudo modprobe snd-rtctimer'. Unfortunately, I don't have that module. I ran 'sudo modprobe snd-hrtimer' instead, but the warning still appears. The 'details' section informs me "WARNING: using system timer with only 250Hz resolution!"

I have an Intel Core i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4 PC with 8 GBs of RAM. I didn't think I'd have CPU problems, but well, maybe that expectation was wrong.

Still, now that I have the instruments set up, everytime I load up my file the sound works properly and MIDI recording does too.

I will use you recommendation regarding JACK from now on.

Cheers,

Leszek.

On 10 January 2016 at 11:58, Holger Marzen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

not MIDI connections. If you have no other programs or hardware that
needs MIDI data then don't mind about Rosegarden's MIDI out, only audio.

I recommend:
- Start jackd manually, e.g. via Qjackctl or a shell script
- Configure Rosegarden in Edit -> Preferences -> Audio
  uncheck "Start JACK automatically"
  check "Make default JACK connections for audio outputs"

Regards
Holger

Re: Holger's suggestion

Holger Marzen
On Sun, 10 Jan 2016, Leszek Wroński wrote:

> Thank you very much again. Indeed Rosegarden displays a warning and tells
> me to run 'sudo modprobe snd-rtctimer'. Unfortunately, I don't have that
> module. I ran 'sudo modprobe snd-hrtimer' instead, but the warning still
> appears. The 'details' section informs me "WARNING: using system timer with

That means that you use a standard kernel, not a low latency kernel.
There are 3 classes of kernels:

- standard for servers and desktops, usually with 250 HZ
- lowlatency kernels, usually with 1000 HZ
- realtime kernel, rocket science from outer space

Realtime kernels may be the kernels of choice when seeking for lowest
possible latencies for live use with a superfast interface.

I use and recommend lowlatency kernels. No rocket science. Just install
a lowlatency kernel. It's usually in the repository of your distribution
with "lowlatency" in its name.

Install, boot this kernel, enjoy.

Re: Holger's suggestion

On 01/10/2016 06:30 AM, Leszek Wroński wrote:
> The 'details' section informs me "WARNING: using
> system timer with only 250Hz resolution!"

sudo dpkg -l linux-image-lowlatency linux-headers-lowlatency

(You typically only need the headers if you run hardware with
proprietary drivers, like the non-free NVIDIA drivers.)

Reboot.

That will fix your timer resolution problem.

> I have an Intel Core i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4 PC with 8 GBs of RAM. I
> didn't think I'd have CPU problems, but well, maybe that expectation was
> wrong.

I have gotten Rosegarden and several supporting applications running on
a laptop that cuts most of those specs in half.  That machine should
give you a lot of power to spare.

If it doesn't seem like you have enough CPU, that's because you have an
optimization/configuration/setup problem, not because your machine is
inadequate.

Re: Holger's suggestion

Abrolag
On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 12:37:28 +0100 (CET)
Holger Marzen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jan 2016, Leszek Wroński wrote:
>
> > Thank you very much again. Indeed Rosegarden displays a warning and tells
> > me to run 'sudo modprobe snd-rtctimer'. Unfortunately, I don't have that
> > module. I ran 'sudo modprobe snd-hrtimer' instead, but the warning still
> > appears. The 'details' section informs me "WARNING: using system timer with
> > only 250Hz resolution!"
>
> That means that you use a standard kernel, not a low latency kernel.
> There are 3 classes of kernels:
>
> - standard for servers and desktops, usually with 250 HZ
> - lowlatency kernels, usually with 1000 HZ
> - realtime kernel, rocket science from outer space
>
> Realtime kernels may be the kernels of choice when seeking for lowest
> possible latencies for live use with a superfast interface.
>
> I use and recommend lowlatency kernels. No rocket science. Just install
> a lowlatency kernel. It's usually in the repository of your distribution
> with "lowlatency" in its name.
>
> Install, boot this kernel, enjoy.

You can still get very good results if you point Rosegarden's timer to your
soundcard, which *will* be a high resolution time source.
e.g. HW:PCH

--
W J G