ROSEGARDEN 17.04, codename "Twice in a Blue Moon" RELEASED

ROSEGARDEN 17.04, codename "Twice in a Blue Moon" RELEASED

Ted Felix-2
ROSEGARDEN 17.04, codename "Twice in a Blue Moon" RELEASED

The Rosegarden team is proud to announce the release of version 17.04 of
Rosegarden, an audio and MIDI sequencer and musical notation editor for
Linux.

http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

The most visible change in 17.04 is that David Faure has generously
replaced our very brittle and complex style system with a complete
rewrite using QStyle.  Ted Felix invested the past ten months grinding
through bugs, and cleaning Rosegarden's code to make it more efficient
and maintainable.  Significant areas cleaned up include: the Track
Parameters box, TrackButtons, progress dialogs, and the Audio Mixer
window.  Yves Guillemot and David Faure squashed a few bugs as well.

BUG FIXES

   * Fix memory leak: delete StartupLogo when closing it (r14737)

   * Add compilation fix for Ubuntu 16.04.01 LTS (r14738)

   * TrackParameterBox: Fix initial track label problem (r14761)

   * Fix #1534: Send channel setup when output is changed (r14743)

   * TrackParameterBox: Make color combo visible for audio tracks
     (r14762)

   * autoload: Fix audio track colors (r14763)

   * Fix #1532: Crash when trying to edit a triggered segment (r14772)

   * Fix #1536: Crash on dangling Instrument IDs (r14776)

   * Fix "Always use default studio" stickiness (r14781)

   * Fix #1538: No sound when entering notes with keyboard (r14783)

   * Fix time stamp bug in MIDI file export (r14785)

   * Improve progress dialogs throughout the application (r14793-r14899)

   * Repair control rulers in Qt 5 builds

   * Cleanup incorrect name and filter during audio file export

   * Fix compilation with -DQT_STRICT_ITERATORS (r14903)

   * Fix compilation without jack (r14904)

   * Enable -DQT_NO_URL_CAST_FROM_STRING and fix compilation accordingly
     (r14905)

   * Fix "all piano" issue with empty connections (r14906)

   * Fix MIDI import connection problem (r14907)

   * Fix a bug in the parallels checker, bug #1544 (r14959)

   * Fix #1491 Xruns on exit (r14981)

   * Fix wait cursor (r14985)

NEW FEATURES

   * Hide unused frames for audio tracks in track parameters (r14729)

   * Improve handling of collapsing frames in track parameters and
     document properties (r14714)

   * Track 20 recent files, rather than 10 (r14868)

   * Replace stylesheet with custom QStyle (r14968)

Uninstall 16.06 before installing 17.04

Christophe Malhaire
Hi all,

What is the best way to uninstall Rosegarden 16.06 (compiled from
source) before installing the new 17.04 version?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards,

Christophe MALHAIRE

Le 20/04/2017 à 02:14, Ted Felix a écrit :

> ROSEGARDEN 17.04, codename "Twice in a Blue Moon" RELEASED
>
> The Rosegarden team is proud to announce the release of version 17.04 of
> Rosegarden, an audio and MIDI sequencer and musical notation editor for
> Linux.
>
> http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/
>
> The most visible change in 17.04 is that David Faure has generously
> replaced our very brittle and complex style system with a complete
> rewrite using QStyle.  Ted Felix invested the past ten months grinding
> through bugs, and cleaning Rosegarden's code to make it more efficient
> and maintainable.  Significant areas cleaned up include: the Track
> Parameters box, TrackButtons, progress dialogs, and the Audio Mixer
> window.  Yves Guillemot and David Faure squashed a few bugs as well.
>
> BUG FIXES
>
>     * Fix memory leak: delete StartupLogo when closing it (r14737)
>
>     * Add compilation fix for Ubuntu 16.04.01 LTS (r14738)
>
>     * TrackParameterBox: Fix initial track label problem (r14761)
>
>     * Fix #1534: Send channel setup when output is changed (r14743)
>
>     * TrackParameterBox: Make color combo visible for audio tracks
>       (r14762)
>
>     * autoload: Fix audio track colors (r14763)
>
>     * Fix #1532: Crash when trying to edit a triggered segment (r14772)
>
>     * Fix #1536: Crash on dangling Instrument IDs (r14776)
>
>     * Fix "Always use default studio" stickiness (r14781)
>
>     * Fix #1538: No sound when entering notes with keyboard (r14783)
>
>     * Fix time stamp bug in MIDI file export (r14785)
>
>     * Improve progress dialogs throughout the application (r14793-r14899)
>
>     * Repair control rulers in Qt 5 builds
>
>     * Cleanup incorrect name and filter during audio file export
>
>     * Fix compilation with -DQT_STRICT_ITERATORS (r14903)
>
>     * Fix compilation without jack (r14904)
>
>     * Enable -DQT_NO_URL_CAST_FROM_STRING and fix compilation accordingly
>       (r14905)
>
>     * Fix "all piano" issue with empty connections (r14906)
>
>     * Fix MIDI import connection problem (r14907)
>
>     * Fix a bug in the parallels checker, bug #1544 (r14959)
>
>     * Fix #1491 Xruns on exit (r14981)
>
>     * Fix wait cursor (r14985)
>
> NEW FEATURES
>
>     * Hide unused frames for audio tracks in track parameters (r14729)
>
>     * Improve handling of collapsing frames in track parameters and
>       document properties (r14714)
>
>     * Track 20 recent files, rather than 10 (r14868)
>
>     * Replace stylesheet with custom QStyle (r14968)
>
> Ted.

Re: Uninstall 16.06 before installing 17.04

Ted Felix-2
On 04/20/2017 02:18 AM, Malhaire Christophe wrote:
> What is the best way to uninstall Rosegarden 16.06 (compiled from
> source) before installing the new 17.04 version?

   Installing over top should work fine.

   There doesn't appear to be a "make uninstall" target.  I guess you
could do an install, make note of what was installed where, and delete
them manually.

   If it behaves strangely, you might want to rename the Rosegarden.conf
file so that it can create a new one:

   $ cd ~/.config/rosegardenmusic
   $ mv Rosegarden.conf Rosegarden.conf.backup

Re: Uninstall 16.06 before installing 17.04

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 04/20/2017 06:51 AM, Ted Felix wrote:

Congratulations on the release.  I'm sure it will all end up streamlined
and greatly improved with you at the helm.

I am officially retiring to an advisory position.  This news should
neither shock nor sadden anyone, because it is merely an admission of
what already happened long ago.  Over time, I have had to work more
hours, and I have also picked up more hobbies.  Rosegarden got squeezed
out, and I just couldn't maintain any standard of quality in my work here.

> On 04/20/2017 02:18 AM, Malhaire Christophe wrote:
>> What is the best way to uninstall Rosegarden 16.06 (compiled from
>> source) before installing the new 17.04 version?
>
>    Installing over top should work fine.

Rosegarden installs very few files, and those files rarely change.  When
you compile the source we ship and install it, the majority of data
files are compiled into the resource bundle attached to the rosegarden
binary.  The only files we install to system locations related to MIME
types, icons, and relatively minor things like that.

Note that some distros insist on hacking Rosegarden to install pieces of
itself all over the place.  We don't officially support those hacks.  If
package maintainers want to force Rosegarden to store data files a
different way, those package maintainers can deal with the consequences.

Re: ROSEGARDEN 17.04, codename "Twice in a Blue Moon" RELEASED

Abrolag
On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 20:14:25 -0400
Ted Felix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ROSEGARDEN 17.04, codename "Twice in a Blue Moon" RELEASED
>
> The Rosegarden team is proud to announce the release of version 17.04 of
> Rosegarden, an audio and MIDI sequencer and musical notation editor for
> Linux.
>
> http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

Congratulations on this release. It's very easy to fail to realise just how
many improvements there have been when they come a few at a time, but a big
thankyou to all of you who have kept my absolute fave sequencer alive!

--
W J G

Re: Uninstall 16.06 before installing 17.04

Abrolag
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 14:48:23 -0400
"D. Michael McIntyre" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am officially retiring to an advisory position.  This news should
> neither shock nor sadden anyone, because it is merely an admission of
> what already happened long ago.  Over time, I have had to work more
> hours, and I have also picked up more hobbies.  Rosegarden got squeezed
> out, and I just couldn't maintain any standard of quality in my work here.

Thanks for looking after Rosegarden for all this time, Michael. It's greatly
appeciated in the 'folderol' zone!

Just to add a little perspective, I just checked, and there are over 230
Rosegarden projects in my DAW, most of which I created while you were at the
helm.

So, just cos you're stepping back, don't be a stranger :)

--
W J G

Re: ROSEGARDEN 17.04, codename "Twice in a Blue Moon" RELEASED

Etienne Snyman-2
Great work! It looks like the Midi bug is fixed so I can use Rosegarden again!

How do I install it on Ubuntu 17.04?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 2:15 AM Ted Felix <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Fernando A. Martin
Great job all that long Michael.
I sincerily hope the other members of Rosegarden team keep the same pace they've been keeping when you were taking the lead and the project continues to improve as it has done until now.
Congratulations to all developers for your good work!