ROSEGARDEN 15.12 RELEASED

D. Michael McIntyre-3
====== ROSEGARDEN 15.12, codename "Peace" RELEASED ======

The Rosegarden team is pleased to announce the release of version 15.12
of Rosegarden, an audio and MIDI sequencer and musical notation editor
for Linux.

http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

Rosegarden rounds out 2015 with a new CMake build system and several bug
fixes contributed by David Faure of KDE.  The new build system preserves
the best features of the previous system, while adding out-of-source
builds, and the ability to compile with Qt 4 or Qt 5.  (Qt 5 builds are
functional, but do have some problems.  We encourage you to give a Qt 5
build a try and report bugs, but package maintainers and production
users should stick with Qt 4 for the time being.)

Beyond ironing the kinks out of the new build system, Ted was hard at
work sorting out bugs, Yves added a new pop-up notes feature that allows
you to include explanatory text inside your compositions, and Michael
cobbled together a way to fake acciaccatura, by allowing you to put a
tremolo slash on a grace note in order to have LilyPond produce
acciaccatura rather than appoggiatura.

===== Bug Fixes =====
   * Fix minor compile issue affecting several distros (patch backported
as 15.10.1 release)
   * Fix random dropped legato notes with softsynths (patch backported
as 15.10.2 release)
   * Fix crash #1459: Using a null pointer when trying to write MIDI
instrument in a LilyPond file from a RG file where  instrument is not
defined
   * Fix bug #1457: Repeating segments with volta are always exported to
LilyPond unfolded when using multiple voices on the same track
   * Finish off #1455 involving repeats and LilyPond
   * Fix LilyPond export crash with very old files that date from when
compositions had no verse property
   * Display the link Id after the label of the linked segment on the
composition view. This helps to identify the linked segments (the
texture is not always very visible) and to know at which other segments
a segment is linked
   * Add a modified version of examples/lilypond-alternative-endings.rg
usable to test #1457 fix
   * RG_WARNING is now a suitable replacement for std::cerr everywhere
it occurs in the code
   * MidiFile: Simplify zero-length track handling
   * CMI: Improve recording performance
   * Fix bug #1458. The LilyPond exporter no longer exports redundant
key signatures
   * Fix bug #1461. The document properties segment summary table is
populated correctly
   * Fix bug #1462. There is no longer a crash when the document
properties dialog is open while changing documents, and it is no longer
possible to open more than one document properties editor
   * Same modifications on the configuration dialog as those done on the
document properties dialog
   * Fix Song Position Pointer rounding error (bug #1100)
   * Fix bug #1463. Composition additional headers no longer broken
   * Force building all before install
   * Add memory to text input dialog
   * Fix bug #1465. Remove the output of "\ottava" in
handleStartingPostEvents() in LilyPond export
   * Fix crashes when closing the configuration dialog or the document
configuration dialog with environment variable QT_FATAL_WARNINGS set to 1
   * Fix MIDI sync off by 1 issue
   * LilyPondExporter: fix bug #1466, single note should never be beamed.
   * Don't export beams on notes that can't actually have beams
   * Fix #1468: the verse count was not kept up to date
   * Clean garbage from double click bar selection in notation editor
   * LilyPondExporter: a rest at the beginning of a beam group shouldn't
be beamed, to match the on-screen rendering
   * HeadersConfigurationPage: don't add empty rows to m_metadata for
headers shown above the table.
   * Don't mark the document as modified every time you print via LilyPond
   * Turn lilypond autobeam off when "Export beamings" is checked
   * LilyPondExporter: Grace notes are not beamed, but shouldn't break
the beaming group
   * LilyPondExporter: rework algorithm for exporting groups (beams and
tuplets)
   * Fix bug #1469: Repeat with volta are now correctly export to
LilyPond when the last volta is longer than the repeat segment or not
synchronous on the different tracks
   * LilyPond: Fix the wrong detection of a repetition when a segment is
linked to some other segment outside of the supposed repeat sequence
   * Fix resource leak in AlsaDriver code
   * Use jack_port_get_latency_range() instead of the deprecated
jack_port_get_total_latency()
   * Fix some reports + tune euclidian algo
   * Fix missing controllers when switching ports (#1374)
   * Fix Manage Controllers update bug: Changes to controllers are now
reflected in the UI when the Manage Controllers dialog is dismissed
   * Fix SysEx corruption (#1477)
   * Fix the worst part of #1450 with several improvements to segment
canvas mouse handling

===== New Features =====
   * Add details box to LilyPond export failure dialog, showing you
LilyPond errors within Rosegarden
   * Use rectangle instead of masked collision detection for text events
in the notation editor
   * Build with Qt 4 or Qt 5, at your option
   * Add an editor (new tab "Notes" in Document Properties) to store
some comments along with the composition
   * Allow comments stored in a .rg file to be displayed in a popup
dialog when the document is opened

=====Other people who contributed to Rosegarden development:=====
   * Tito Latini
   * David Faure
   * Tim Munro

=====People who contributed device files to the Rosegarden Library=====
   * Mario Moles

Re: ROSEGARDEN 15.12 RELEASED

Ted Felix-2
On 12/31/2015 09:32 AM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> ====== ROSEGARDEN 15.12, codename "Peace" RELEASED ======

   Thanks, Michael.

   Found one issue...

   From the tar file, a debug build with tests (a default debug build)
is not possible since the make-release-tarball script removes the "test"
directory before generating the tar file.  This is very old behavior
that should be changed since we now have a real test suite in the "test"
directory that can be used by end users to verify proper compilation.

   The problem line in make-release-tarball is line 71:

rm -rf templates test

   Should just be a matter of removing "test" from that line.

Re: ROSEGARDEN 15.12 RELEASED

Chris Cannam

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015, at 06:27 PM, Ted Felix wrote:
> On 12/31/2015 09:32 AM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> > ====== ROSEGARDEN 15.12, codename "Peace" RELEASED ======
>
>    Thanks, Michael.
>
>    Found one issue...
>
>    From the tar file, a debug build with tests (a default debug build)
> is not possible

My one test was to unpack the tarball & try a default release build
using Qt5 -- it worked fine.

(Though I've never done a Qt5 build of RG before and so had to dig
around a bit to find out how to enable it.)

Chris

On 12/31/2015 01:27 PM, Ted Felix wrote:
>     From the tar file, a debug build with tests (a default debug build)
> is not possible since the make-release-tarball script removes the "test"
> directory before generating the tar file.

   As a workaround, building the tests can be turned off:

$ cmake .. -DBUILD_TESTING=OFF -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug

Re: ROSEGARDEN 15.12 RELEASED

On 12/31/2015 01:27 PM, Ted Felix wrote:

>     Should just be a matter of removing "test" from that line.

Kindly give her another whirl.  This is why I intended to do a formal
beta cycle before releasing this one.  I just don't have the time.

Incidentally, any announcement is some way off, but I am working on a
plan that involves taking a pay cut and working only four days a week.

On 12/31/2015 06:20 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> Kindly give her another whirl.

   Debug and release builds are working fine for me now.