Qt5/KDE5 bad interactions

123

Re: Qt5/KDE5 bad interactions

Ted Felix-2
On 02/18/2017 07:02 PM, David Faure wrote:
> I committed some fixes for the statusbar now, please check, since I wasn't
> seeing that white frame (but a black one).

   Looks good.  No frames at all now.

>>    Also, for me (Qt4/GNOME/Unity/Ubuntu), all the tooltips are blank.
> Indeed, there was a bug where the thorn palette wasn't applied to child
> dialogs. Fixed now. I didn't notice this in my testing because my color scheme
> is dark too, so the system color for tooltip backgrounds was working.

   Tooltips are working fine now.

   I'll do some deeper testing next....

Re: Qt5/KDE5 bad interactions

   Ok, a few more issues.  Again, this is Qt4/GNOME/Unity/Ubuntu.

   The pane on the left with the Segment Parameters, Track Parameters,
etc...  (RosegardenParameterArea):  The scrollbar doesn't work.  You'll
likely need to shrink the window vertically to get the scrollbar
depending on your display resolution.

   Also in the pane on the left, in the Track Parameters box, the
CollapsingFrames aren't working (e.g. "Playback parameters").  You can
click on them but they do not expand or collapse.  These are
"CollapsingFrame" objects that are created in TrackParameterBox's ctor.

   The Manage MIDI Devices window (Studio > Manage MIDI Devices)
(DeviceManagerDialogUi.ui):  The headers on the tables (tree widgets
actually) (e.g. "Rosegarden playback device") are dark gray on slightly
lighter gray.  They used to be white on dark gray.

   In the Manage MIDI Devices window, some of the tooltips work fine,
but others are blank.  E.g. when hovering over the table headers.

   The Manage MIDI Banks and Programs window (press the Banks... button
in the Manage MIDI Devices window) (BankEditorDialog):  Select a bank.
On the right, the labels appear to be light gray on slightly darker
gray.  The labels should be white.  (Same for the text on the group boxes.)

   Also, the Manage MIDI Banks and Programs window is larger.  On my 768
vertical display, I can't see the Options section in the lower right.
In 16.06 the entire dialog fits on my screen.

   Let me know if you want any screenshots.

Re: Qt5/KDE5 bad interactions

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 02/21/2017 08:17 PM, Ted Felix wrote:

>    Ok, a few more issues.  Again, this is Qt4/GNOME/Unity/Ubuntu.

When I get a chance, I want to see how much of this happens in Qt5
builds.  Maybe it's time to drop support for Qt4 builds.  I'm not aware
of any other project of significance that supports either/or builds.

I had time and opportunity to look at and work through some of this over
this past weekend, but SourceForge was down the entire time, and I
couldn't update my source.  By the time they finally fixed the problem
(affecting all repos in all version control systems) my window of
opportunity had already closed.  It's frustrating.

Re: Qt5/KDE5 bad interactions

On 02/21/2017 08:17 PM, Ted Felix wrote:
>    Ok, a few more issues.  Again, this is Qt4/GNOME/Unity/Ubuntu.

   I've just retested in Qt5 with the following results...

>    The pane on the left with the Segment Parameters, Track Parameters,
> etc...  (RosegardenParameterArea):  The scrollbar doesn't work.  You'll
> likely need to shrink the window vertically to get the scrollbar
> depending on your display resolution.

   Scrollbar doesn't work in Qt4.  Works fine in Qt5.

>    Also in the pane on the left, in the Track Parameters box, the
> CollapsingFrames aren't working (e.g. "Playback parameters").  You can
> click on them but they do not expand or collapse.  These are
> "CollapsingFrame" objects that are created in TrackParameterBox's ctor.

   CollapsingFrame doesn't work in Qt4.  Works fine in Qt5.

>    The Manage MIDI Devices window (Studio > Manage MIDI Devices)
> (DeviceManagerDialogUi.ui):  The headers on the tables (tree widgets
> actually) (e.g. "Rosegarden playback device") are dark gray on slightly
> lighter gray.  They used to be white on dark gray.

   This is a problem in both Qt4 and Qt5.

On 02/22/2017 08:51 AM, Ted Felix wrote:
>>    The pane on the left with the Segment Parameters, Track Parameters,
>> etc...  (RosegardenParameterArea):  The scrollbar doesn't work.  You'll
>> likely need to shrink the window vertically to get the scrollbar
>> depending on your display resolution.

   Mysteriously, this is working fine for me now in Qt4 and Qt5.

>>    Also in the pane on the left, in the Track Parameters box, the
>> CollapsingFrames aren't working (e.g. "Playback parameters").  You can
>> click on them but they do not expand or collapse.  These are
>> "CollapsingFrame" objects that are created in TrackParameterBox's ctor.

   Mysteriously, this is also working fine for me now in Qt4 and Qt5.

Re: Qt5/KDE5 bad interactions

David Faure
On mercredi 22 février 2017 02:17:24 CET Ted Felix wrote:
>    Ok, a few more issues.  Again, this is Qt4/GNOME/Unity/Ubuntu.
>
>    The pane on the left with the Segment Parameters, Track Parameters,
> etc...  (RosegardenParameterArea):  The scrollbar doesn't work.  You'll
> likely need to shrink the window vertically to get the scrollbar
> depending on your display resolution.

Works here, with Qt4 and Qt5.

>    Also in the pane on the left, in the Track Parameters box, the
> CollapsingFrames aren't working (e.g. "Playback parameters").  You can
> click on them but they do not expand or collapse.  These are
> "CollapsingFrame" objects that are created in TrackParameterBox's ctor.

Works here, with Qt4 and Qt5.

(This reminds me that Qt4 is really unusable on hi-dpi screens ;-) )

>    The Manage MIDI Devices window (Studio > Manage MIDI Devices)
> (DeviceManagerDialogUi.ui):  The headers on the tables (tree widgets
> actually) (e.g. "Rosegarden playback device") are dark gray on slightly
> lighter gray.  They used to be white on dark gray.

Oh joy, a local stylesheet hidden in the ui file ;)

Fixed now, local stylesheet killed, setting background brushes on the items
does the job.
Had to fight with the event filter for the headerviews on the left to be styled
(no idea why those on the right were getting a Polish event and not those on
the left)....

>    In the Manage MIDI Devices window, some of the tooltips work fine,
> but others are blank.  E.g. when hovering over the table headers.

Any tooltip color issue sounds like a local stylesheet left over.
OK, same dialog, so this was fixed by the above.

>    The Manage MIDI Banks and Programs window (press the Banks... button
> in the Manage MIDI Devices window) (BankEditorDialog):  Select a bank.
> On the right, the labels appear to be light gray on slightly darker
> gray.  The labels should be white.  (Same for the text on the group boxes.)

Removed yet another local stylesheet there, but there are more issues with the
layout and colors in this dialog. I'll finish this weekend.

>    Also, the Manage MIDI Banks and Programs window is larger.  On my 768
> vertical display, I can't see the Options section in the lower right.
> In 16.06 the entire dialog fits on my screen.

I'll look at that too.

--
David Faure, [hidden email], http://www.davidfaure.fr
Working on KDE Frameworks 5

Re: Qt5/KDE5 bad interactions

Ted Felix-2
   Latest stuff looks good.

   I searched the remaining .ui file and it looks like there's no more
stylesheets hiding there.

   What about a search on setStyleSheet()?  There seem to be 15 or so of
these scattered in obscure places.  Would it be helpful if I tracked
down each of these test cases for you?

On vendredi 24 février 2017 14:30:37 CET Ted Felix wrote:
>    Latest stuff looks good.
>
>    I searched the remaining .ui file and it looks like there's no more
> stylesheets hiding there.
>
>    What about a search on setStyleSheet()?  There seem to be 15 or so of
> these scattered in obscure places.  Would it be helpful if I tracked
> down each of these test cases for you?

Yes I did that search of course, I was just hoping to get some help with
those, but yes, at least giving me instructions for how to reach these dark
corners of the application could be useful ;)

Well, maybe I can first do those that I manage to reach and only ask you to
write instructions for the dialogs/widgets that I don't manage to trigger.

On 02/24/2017 09:14 AM, David Faure wrote:

> Yes I did that search of course, I was just hoping to get some help with
> those, but yes, at least giving me instructions for how to reach these dark
> corners of the application could be useful ;)

I had hoped to get my hands into this long before now, but I should have
another chance over the weekend.

On vendredi 24 février 2017 12:26:05 CET David Faure wrote:

> > The Manage MIDI Banks and Programs window (press the Banks... button
> > in the Manage MIDI Devices window) (BankEditorDialog):  Select a bank.
> > On the right, the labels appear to be light gray on slightly darker
> > gray.  The labels should be white.  (Same for the text on the group
> > boxes.)
>
> Removed yet another local stylesheet there, but there are more issues with
> the layout and colors in this dialog. I'll finish this weekend.
>
> > Also, the Manage MIDI Banks and Programs window is larger.  On my 768
> > vertical display, I can't see the Options section in the lower right.
> > In 16.06 the entire dialog fits on my screen.
>
> I'll look at that too.

This dialog should be OK now.

--
David Faure, [hidden email], http://www.davidfaure.fr
Working on KDE Frameworks 5

Re: Qt5/KDE5 bad interactions

I finally got up to date with the latest changes.  I tried using
Rosegarden to import a MIDI file and play it, and I've run into all
kinds of catastrophic show-stopping problems, and even more minor
glitchy ones are popping out at me.

I'm going to just jump in and see what I can do before enumerating
everything.  I have some free time today, believe it or not!

On 02/26/2017 04:18 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> I'm going to just jump in and see what I can do before enumerating
> everything.  I have some free time today, believe it or not!

While hunting down a problem, I saw some really weird behavior.  I
changed one line of code to make an element stand out in red, so I could
see exactly what that code was drawing.  After I put the color back, it
began drawing correctly, and in the correct color.  No change was
needed, other than triggering a rebuild.

I did a totally clean build from scratch, and it solved the lion's share
of problems I intended to work through today.  I've reverted all my
changes so far.  (The effort hasn't been useless.  I see what David did
there, and I can hack around on this, so David isn't going to be stuck
solving every trivial problem for eternity.)

Very nice job on turning the stylesheet into code.  That had to swallow
an ocean of time, but it's so much more maintainable now.  I am in your
debt David Faure!

Now that I have eliminated most of the problems, I'm going to go digging
through the entire convoluted nightmare and see what glitches remain to
be fixed.

On dimanche 26 février 2017 23:48:32 CET D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> On 02/26/2017 04:18 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> > I'm going to just jump in and see what I can do before enumerating
> > everything.  I have some free time today, believe it or not!
>
> While hunting down a problem, I saw some really weird behavior.  I
> changed one line of code to make an element stand out in red, so I could
> see exactly what that code was drawing.  After I put the color back, it
> began drawing correctly, and in the correct color.  No change was
> needed, other than triggering a rebuild.
>
> I did a totally clean build from scratch, and it solved the lion's share
> of problems I intended to work through today.  I've reverted all my
> changes so far.  (The effort hasn't been useless.  I see what David did
> there, and I can hack around on this, so David isn't going to be stuck
> solving every trivial problem for eternity.)
>
> Very nice job on turning the stylesheet into code.  That had to swallow
> an ocean of time, but it's so much more maintainable now.  I am in your
> debt David Faure!
>
> Now that I have eliminated most of the problems, I'm going to go digging
> through the entire convoluted nightmare and see what glitches remain to
> be fixed.

Very strange (cmake never requires a clean build, in theory), but I'm
reassured that it's not all catastrophic :-)

On 02/26/2017 05:48 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> I did a totally clean build from scratch, and it solved the lion's share
> of problems I intended to work through today.

Correction.  I'm using the same build now, and the parameter area
scrollbar is not functioning.  The collapsing frames are not
functioning.  The IPB plugin buttons are not functioning.

I have no idea what's different now other than the time of day.  I
didn't imagine the earlier results, and I'm not imagining these either.
At this moment, Rosegarden is back to being largely useless.

On 02/26/2017 09:56 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> Correction.  I'm using the same build now, and the parameter area
> scrollbar is not functioning.  The collapsing frames are not
> functioning.  The IPB plugin buttons are not functioning.

   This sounds really familiar.

   Deleting the build directory and rebuilding fixed it for me.

   It would be nice to know why, though.

On 02/26/2017 06:26 PM, David Faure wrote:

> Very strange (cmake never requires a clean build, in theory), but I'm
> reassured that it's not all catastrophic :-)

Starting Rosegarden with ./rosegarden is different from starting with a
file on the command line, or loading a file through the GUI at runtime.

./rosegarden the parameter area and collapsing frames are perfectly fine

./rosegarden ../data/examples/perfect-moment.rg the parameter area and
collapsing frames are broken

The same thing happens if I File -> Open or File -> Import something.

There are other broken things, but those two are obvious and quick to test.

If I load perfect-moment.rg and Studio -> Save Document as Default
Studio then everything works correctly with that file upon a subsequent
./rosegarden

This is repeatable.  I can't remember how the doc swap code works, but
it looks like it's leaving all these widgets with a bad parent or something.

On 02/26/2017 10:07 PM, Ted Felix wrote:

>    This sounds really familiar.
>
>    Deleting the build directory and rebuilding fixed it for me.
>
>    It would be nice to know why, though.

Nope.  I reverted to the factory autoload and repeated my tests.  The
document loaded at startup works fine in just about every way I could
find (drilling way down deep into lots of obscure corners, the new style
implementation is performing extremely well, and has probably fixed at
least five old style bugs).

Load a document, and dozens of things break instantly.  This is
infinitely repeatable here.  (Only testing with Qt5 builds here.)

On 02/26/2017 11:28 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> Load a document, and dozens of things break instantly.  This is
> infinitely repeatable here.  (Only testing with Qt5 builds here.)

   Ah ha!  That's it.  I'm seeing this with Qt4 too.  Should be easy to
bisect and find.  I'll take a look sometime this week.

On lundi 27 février 2017 13:09:11 CET Ted Felix wrote:
> On 02/26/2017 11:28 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> > Load a document, and dozens of things break instantly.  This is
> > infinitely repeatable here.  (Only testing with Qt5 builds here.)
>
>    Ah ha!  That's it.  I'm seeing this with Qt4 too.  Should be easy to
> bisect and find.  I'll take a look sometime this week.

No need to bisect, it's clear that this is related to my redesign of the
parameter area (was a (useless) stack widget inside a dockwidget,
now it's a simple widget in a layout, the only thing I kept was that it's a
scrollarea). I didn't think of testing with a document as cmdline param.

--
David Faure, [hidden email], http://www.davidfaure.fr
Working on KDE Frameworks 5

Re: Qt5/KDE5 bad interactions

On 02/26/2017 11:28 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> Load a document, and dozens of things break instantly.  This is
> infinitely repeatable here.  (Only testing with Qt5 builds here.)

   OK, since it seemed like a recent problem, I did a quick test of
r14965 which is just prior to the new style changes.  That version
works.  So it appears that the new style stuff has somehow caused (or
brought to light) this issue.

123