Opening MIDI file sets MIDI devices to "no port"

Opening MIDI file sets MIDI devices to "no port"

Marko Randjelovic
When current project is blank, if I open or import any MIDI file, both input and output MIDI devices are set to "no port". At start, Rosegarden sets devices to other then "no port".

I use Rosegarden 14.02-2 on Devuan Jessie.

Re: Opening MIDI file sets MIDI devices to "no port"

Marko Randjelovic
I have to correct myself. No matter what MIDI file I open nor whether current project is blank or not, sometimes ports are set to "no port" (last on list) and sometimes settings are set to first on list. If current setting is neither first nor last it is not preserved.

On 5 November 2016 at 23:15, Marko Randjelovic <[hidden email]> wrote:
When current project is blank, if I open or import any MIDI file, both input and output MIDI devices are set to "no port". At start, Rosegarden sets devices to other then "no port".

I use Rosegarden 14.02-2 on Devuan Jessie.

Re: Opening MIDI file sets MIDI devices to "no port"

Abrolag
On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 00:04:33 +0100
Marko Randjelovic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are MIDI files that will always set to "no port".

Why not just change the ports to the ones you want then re-save as a Rosegarden
file. They will then be remembered.

--
W J G

Re: Opening MIDI file sets MIDI devices to "no port"

Marko Randjelovic
Because besides such behavior doesn't make any sense, I have many MIDI files and saving all of them as rg files would be impractical.

On 6 November 2016 at 00:18, Abrolag <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 00:04:33 +0100
Marko Randjelovic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are MIDI files that will always set to "no port".

Why not just change the ports to the ones you want then re-save as a Rosegarden
file. They will then be remembered.

--
W J G

Re: Opening MIDI file sets MIDI devices to "no port"

David Jones
Rosegarden is up to 16.06. IIRC I have RG 16.02 or .04 via Debian Testing. I haven't had the same problem with MIDI files.

David W. Jones
[hidden email]
authenticity, honesty, community

On 11/05/2016 06:15 PM, Marko Randjelovic wrote:
> When current project is blank, if I open or import any MIDI file, both
> input and output MIDI devices are set to "no port". At start, Rosegarden
> sets devices to other then "no port".

   I'm actually looking at this right now in conjunction with sending
channel setups on load.  Should have something a bit more predictable in
a few weeks/months.

   We currently do some sort of fuzzy matching of ports to what might be
found in a .rg file.  Since MIDI files have no such concept as "devices"
I have no idea what we do.  That you ever get anything would be
surprising to me.

   What sort of behavior would you prefer?  Assign to the first port found?

Re: Opening MIDI file sets MIDI devices to "no port"

Marko Randjelovic
I would prefer keeping what user has chosen, including if program is terminated and started again. If user didn't yet choose anything or if chosen device is currently unavailable, then I would prefer assign to first port found.

On 6 November 2016 at 18:01, Ted Felix <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/05/2016 06:15 PM, Marko Randjelovic wrote:
> When current project is blank, if I open or import any MIDI file, both
> input and output MIDI devices are set to "no port". At start, Rosegarden
> sets devices to other then "no port".

   I'm actually looking at this right now in conjunction with sending
channel setups on load.  Should have something a bit more predictable in
a few weeks/months.

   We currently do some sort of fuzzy matching of ports to what might be
found in a .rg file.  Since MIDI files have no such concept as "devices"
I have no idea what we do.  That you ever get anything would be
surprising to me.

   What sort of behavior would you prefer?  Assign to the first port found?

Re: Opening MIDI file sets MIDI devices to "no port"

Marko Randjelovic
Of course, since Rosegarden can save its project files, settings should  be saved to .rg and restored when file is loaded. But since midi files are not project files, nothing should be changed on loading such files.

On 11/06/2016 03:05 PM, Marko Randjelovic wrote:

> I would prefer keeping what user has chosen, including if program is

The problem when importing a MIDI file is that the user hasn't chosen
anything yet.  These settings are stored on a per file basis, and there
is no global default setup for this kind of thing.  I got the original
developers to implement the "always use default studio" option as a hack
way of trying to address what I considered a serious design flaw at the
time.  In practice, I rarely used that option, and always found all of
this slightly problematic, but not problematic enough to do anything
about it after I eventually ended up becoming one of the longest-serving
contributors here.

> On 6 November 2016 at 18:01, Ted Felix <[hidden email]

>        What sort of behavior would you prefer?  Assign to the first port
>     found?

The way it was supposed to work, when you imported MIDI it would try to
fuzzy match you with "General MIDI Device" and try to assign that to a
playable port.

Without actually studying and documenting any of the shifts, my
intuitive sense of how things are going as the iterations roll along
tells me that some of the work you've done cleaning various things up
has in fact made this behavior deliver fewer good outcomes than was the
case previously.  I remember the last time I fooled around importing old
MIDI files, I had a lot of problems, to the point where I had to look at
the file in something else to figure out what programs I should set up,
and then I had to set all of that up manually in Rosegarden.

I don't know how it used to work, Ted, but I know I never had to do all
that nonsense before.  It's easier just to roll with the changes than
try to untangle some mystical idealized past behavior.  You sorted out a
huge number of problems along the way, and this was collateral damage
caused by overall very worthwhile work.  You probably plugged a hole
that used to make things work by accident or something.

I could sit down and try to document what I see now, and offer
impressions about what I think is probably wrong.  Unfortunately, I
can't say what is definitively and absolutely wrong, because I'm just
too far out of touch at this point.  When I was dealing with this
particular stuff most strongly, it was back when the emu10k1 was a
common thing.  In day to day life, I never see the issue anymore unless
I dip into old MIDI files from the '80s and '90s that I rarely see anymore.

Re: Opening MIDI file sets MIDI devices to "no port"

Ted Felix-2
On 11/06/2016 07:03 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> The way it was supposed to work, when you imported MIDI it would try to
> fuzzy match you with "General MIDI Device" and try to assign that to a
> playable port.

   That sounds simple.  I'll keep it in mind when I get there.

> I remember the last time I fooled around importing old
> MIDI files, I had a lot of problems, to the point where I had to look at
> the file in something else to figure out what programs I should set up,
> and then I had to set all of that up manually in Rosegarden.

   Sure.  This sounds like the program changes in the MIDI file weren't
at time zero.  The code now assumes that if the PC doesn't happen at
time zero that it has to leave it alone and preserve the timing of the
original file.

   The manual "fix" would be to dig through the events in the event
editor, delete the BS/PC there and enter it into the MIPP.  It's not
easy.  (Perhaps we could handle the case of a BS/PC before any other
events on a track?  Can't remember if I considered that and decided
against it.  It does change what the MIDI file is asking for.)

   And if there are multiple BS/PCs on a track, all bets are off.  A
track will be set for piano in the MIPP and start playing violin at some
point.  This is what drove the new behavior.  Will was having trouble
importing MIDI files filled with BS/PC's on each track with the old
code.  Now it preserves the BS/PCs throughout a track (it used to mangle
them) and sets the MIPP for what it finds at time zero.

> You probably plugged a hole
> that used to make things work by accident or something.

   Heh.  All the time.

Re: Opening MIDI file sets MIDI devices to "no port"

On 11/06/2016 03:05 PM, Marko Randjelovic wrote:
> I would prefer keeping what user has chosen, including if program is
> terminated and started again. If user didn't yet choose anything or if
> chosen device is currently unavailable, then I would prefer assign to
> first port found.

   This should be partially fixed in [r14907].  It will at least connect
to whatever it finds out there now.

   I think that the other behavior you want can be had by modifying the
autoload and then checking the "Always use default studio..." option in
the MIDI preferences.  It's pretty cumbersome compared to your idea, though.