Notation editor improvements: "always visible note preview" and "quick edition mode"

Notation editor improvements: "always visible note preview" and "quick edition mode"

Yves Guillemot
I very recently discovered that the notation editor shows a preview of the
entered note when the mouse button is kept pressed.
I'm using RG since years, but I never noticed it as I always released the
button immediatly after pressing it.
I presume that this feature is hide to much of the new users.

I don't see any point not to have the preview always visible (I wonder if it
was not how the old KDE version was working. I can't remember.)
Moreover, if a preset is defined, the preview may be used to show the in/out
range before entering the note.
This should now be working in rev. 14498.

The old way of functioning can be restored in the preferences editor
(Notation -> editing -> Always show note preview).

On the other hand I always found painful to enter notes with the mouse.
Changing duration of notes or switching to rests needs to move the cursor from
the insertion point to the tool bar and to come back (or to use the keyboard
shortcuts which needs to remember them).

A second improvement is included in the same rev. 14498:
- The mouse wheel can be used to select the note or rest duration (there is a
drawback: the wheel can no more be used to scroll when the pencil tool is
selected)
- A mouse middle click switches between note and rest inserters
- Holding the Shift key while entering a note add a sharp
- Holding the Control key while entering a note add a flat
- Holding Shift + Ctrl while entering a note add a natural

The old way of functioning can here also be restored in the reference editor
(Notation -> editing -> Quick edition mode)

Thanks to report possible problems.

Yves

Re: Notation editor improvements: "always visible note preview" and "quick edition mode"

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 02/05/2016 03:36 PM, Yves Guillemot wrote:

> I don't see any point not to have the preview always visible (I wonder if it
> was not how the old KDE version was working. I can't remember.)

I think it may have been something that got lost in the port.  I think
there used to be a preview, and it used to be gray.  Green seems like a
strange choice at first, but it makes more sense when you try with a
segment that has a playable range defined.  Go too high or low, green
becomes red.  Green = playable, red = bad touch, can't argue with that.

Aesthetically, I think I'd like to see the preview notes semi-opaque, so
they have a ghostly quality.  If that's too expensive in code
complication or processing overhead at runtime, maybe it could be faked
by using a pale version of the color for the preview.

> On the other hand I always found painful to enter notes with the mouse.
> Changing duration of notes or switching to rests needs to move the cursor from
> the insertion point to the tool bar and to come back (or to use the keyboard
> shortcuts which needs to remember them).

This is one of those ideas that sounded very strange when I read the
description, but after I tried it, I wondered why I didn't think of this
sooner.  I barely have any experience with it, but I can appreciate the
advantages immediately.  That's a good idea!

One of the first things I did was set up a trumpet track and try the
playable range thing.  The bottom end on most three-valve brass is
written as F# below the staff.  Hover down to F, it shows red, hold
shift, it still shows red.  Enter the note, since it's F# in the end,
it's black.

This suggests it would be a good idea to preview the accidentals too.
They can and do make a difference on playable or not playable.

Of course I haven't touched a trumpet in so long now, I almost certainly
couldn't play low F# if you paid me.  I fell off the horse, and my horn
chops have atrophied.  The trumpet is not an occasional instrument,
unfortunately.  That's why I'm a drummer now!  Or slowly becoming a
drummer anyway.

Re: Notation editor improvements: "always visible note preview" and "quick edition mode"

On 02/05/2016 03:36 PM, Yves Guillemot wrote:

> Thanks to report possible problems.

I made an edit to a part with no key signature, trying to replace a flat
note with another flat note.  The flat only shows on the first note, but
musically speaking, it's still in effect.  I decided not to hold the
Ctrl key, and I entered a note with a natural accidental by mistake.

That could have been avoided by previewing the accidental, which is a
really good idea.  Entering the natural was probably correct, since I
was in "no accidental" mode.  (I didn't test "follow last accidental"
mode.  I should have.  I'm jotting down a musical idea at the moment,
not really testing as such, but I should go back and try out stuff like
that to see if everything is behaving nicely.)

I was in arrow mode, and used the scroll wheel to scroll the notation.
It made me wonder if this will ever feel weird, not being able to scroll
the notation with the wheel when I'm in pencil mode.  I don't have a
real opinion on this yet, but I have an early idea that it may seem
worthwhile to make the toggle for this an icon in the notation editor,
instead of a checkbox buried on a configuration page.  That is merely a
thought at this point, not a proposal.

All in all, I REALLY like this, Yves!

Le vendredi 5 février 2016, 17:49:25 D. Michael McIntyre a écrit :

>  Green seems like a
> strange choice at first, but it makes more sense when you try with a
> segment that has a playable range defined.  Go too high or low, green
> becomes red.  Green = playable, red = bad touch, can't argue with that.

That's pure chance. I choose green for test purpose because it was neither
black, nor blue, nor red.
I was planning to look for a better color afterwards but I still don't do it.

> Aesthetically, I think I'd like to see the preview notes semi-opaque, so
> they have a ghostly quality.  If that's too expensive in code
> complication or processing overhead at runtime, maybe it could be faked
> by using a pale version of the color for the preview.

As the mouse wheel may change the preview this one should be very visible.
I have no definitive opinion on its look.

> One of the first things I did was set up a trumpet track and try the
> playable range thing.  The bottom end on most three-valve brass is
> written as F# below the staff.  Hover down to F, it shows red, hold
> shift, it still shows red.  Enter the note, since it's F# in the end,
> it's black.

This is fixed in rev. 14503.

> This suggests it would be a good idea to preview the accidentals too.
> They can and do make a difference on playable or not playable.

This should not be too difficult. I'll try to implement it shortly.

> Of course I haven't touched a trumpet in so long now, I almost certainly
> couldn't play low F# if you paid me.  I fell off the horse, and my horn
> chops have atrophied.  The trumpet is not an occasional instrument,
> unfortunately.  That's why I'm a drummer now!  Or slowly becoming a
> drummer anyway.

Years ago, when I was a student, I played cornet in a band.
I never had any problem with the low F# (which was never used in any case).
Real problems began two octaves up.
I don't know if I should still be able to play anything today.

Le samedi 6 février 2016, 07:55:08 D. Michael McIntyre a écrit :
> On 02/05/2016 03:36 PM, Yves Guillemot wrote:
> > Thanks to report possible problems.
>
> I made an edit to a part with no key signature, trying to replace a flat
> note with another flat note.  The flat only shows on the first note, but
> musically speaking, it's still in effect.  I decided not to hold the
> Ctrl key, and I entered a note with a natural accidental by mistake.
>
> That could have been avoided by previewing the accidental

I hope to add the preview of accidental in a few time.

> I was in arrow mode, and used the scroll wheel to scroll the notation.
> It made me wonder if this will ever feel weird, not being able to scroll
> the notation with the wheel when I'm in pencil mode.  I don't have a
> real opinion on this yet, but I have an early idea that it may seem
> worthwhile to make the toggle for this an icon in the notation editor,
> instead of a checkbox buried on a configuration page.  That is merely a
> thought at this point, not a proposal.

I'm conscious of the problem.
I need to think about it.

On 02/06/2016 04:22 PM, Yves Guillemot wrote:

> That's pure chance. I choose green for test purpose because it was neither
> black, nor blue, nor red.
> I was planning to look for a better color afterwards but I still don't do it.

I found the color distracting at first, but I got used to it quickly.

> As the mouse wheel may change the preview this one should be very visible.
> I have no definitive opinion on its look.

After I spent more time using it, it seems fine like it is.

> This is fixed in rev. 14503.

Great!

> Years ago, when I was a student, I played cornet in a band.
> I never had any problem with the low F# (which was never used in any case).
> Real problems began two octaves up.

I always had trouble playing the low F# in a musical context, but yes,
the real problems began two octaves up.  I managed to play some high
notes, but I couldn't use those in a musical context either.

> I don't know if I should still be able to play anything today.

I can still play a more limited range.  The problem is my lips will be
destroyed very, very quickly.  I have no endurance.

I am definitely better off sticking to instruments I play with my hands.
  They are much more maintainable for a guy who only gets to practice
once a week or so.

I will still always have a special love of brass though.