New Solo LEDs

Ted Felix-2
   Just finished implementing solo LEDs.  If you can, please grab the
latest svn and test.  Quick start:

   Clicking on a solo LED puts it in solo.  Shift-clicking adds another
track to solo.  The solo button on the transport and the editors is a
quick way to solo the selected track.  The solo no longer follows the
track selection.  Hopefully no one was too attached to that feature.

   Related: https://sourceforge.net/p/rosegarden/feature-requests/388/

Re: New Solo LEDs

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 06/14/2016 07:49 PM, Ted Felix wrote:

>     Clicking on a solo LED puts it in solo.  Shift-clicking adds another
> track to solo.

Just testing visuals this morning.  That works, and it's intuitive enough.

>  The solo button on the transport and the editors is a
> quick way to solo the selected track.  The solo no longer follows the
> track selection.  Hopefully no one was too attached to that feature.

Having an "undo my careful selection of stuff I soloed" button seems
dubious.  Shift click to green light tracks 1 3 5 7 9, hit the solo
button.  Turns off solo on track 1.  Hit the solo button again.  Turns
off 3 5 7 9 and solos track 1.

I think my intuition still expects this button to toggle solo mode off
and on.  You have that selection of solo tracks you want to hear in solo
mode, and you want to go out of solo mode to hear everything, then back
into solo mode.  I suppose the LEDs should be half lit or something when
they're on but solo is not active.

We had this discussion before though, and your answer was 15 pages of my
head hurting trying to get into yours, so I just don't know man.  I'm
getting too old for this stuff.

Maybe the users can help us sort out how this should behave intuitively
and functionally.

Re: New Solo LEDs

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 06/14/2016 11:47 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> Maybe the users can help us sort out how this should behave intuitively
> and functionally.

And maybe this is it, incidentally.  I'm not saying otherwise.  Just a
quick gut reaction from a guy who last used commercial software with a
coypright date of 1991 or so on it.

Re: New Solo LEDs

Abrolag
On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 23:47:50 -0400
"D. Michael McIntyre" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/14/2016 07:49 PM, Ted Felix wrote:
>
> >     Clicking on a solo LED puts it in solo.  Shift-clicking adds another
> > track to solo.
>
> Just testing visuals this morning.  That works, and it's intuitive enough.
>
> >  The solo button on the transport and the editors is a
> > quick way to solo the selected track.  The solo no longer follows the
> > track selection.  Hopefully no one was too attached to that feature.
>
> Having an "undo my careful selection of stuff I soloed" button seems
> dubious.  Shift click to green light tracks 1 3 5 7 9, hit the solo
> button.  Turns off solo on track 1.  Hit the solo button again.  Turns
> off 3 5 7 9 and solos track 1.
>
> I think my intuition still expects this button to toggle solo mode off
> and on.  You have that selection of solo tracks you want to hear in solo
> mode, and you want to go out of solo mode to hear everything, then back
> into solo mode.  I suppose the LEDs should be half lit or something when
> they're on but solo is not active.
>
> We had this discussion before though, and your answer was 15 pages of my
> head hurting trying to get into yours, so I just don't know man.  I'm
> getting too old for this stuff.
>
> Maybe the users can help us sort out how this should behave intuitively
> and functionally.

Now that the dust has settled (briefly) on yoshimi, I had time for a look at
this.

I like what you have so far. It seems quite intuitive. I actually like the
consistency that whether switching on or off, using shift means that this
button's behaviour is totally independent of any other.

I'm a bit ambivalent about Michael's suggestion of a sort of 'pending' state
for solo groups. I don't think I personally would ever use it. However, if it
were to be implemented I would suggest that it would be on the basis of using
the CTRL key, in association with a mouse click.

Then CTRL would toggle between a true solo *or* the rest of the group, and shift
would then bring an unlit solo back into the group.

--
W J G