NRPN support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NRPN support

Bric
Hi all

what is the status of NRPN support in RG ?  The option to insert an NRPN
doesn't seem to be in the Event List editor.

thanks.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transform Data into Opportunity.
Accelerate data analysis in your applications with
Intel Data Analytics Acceleration Library.
Click to learn more.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=278785231&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
Rosegarden-user mailing list
[hidden email] - use the link below to unsubscribe
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/rosegarden-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NRPN support

Ted Felix-2
On 03/17/2016 05:21 AM, Bric wrote:
> what is the status of NRPN support in RG ?

   There is no plan to support it since no one has opened a feature request.

https://sourceforge.net/p/rosegarden/feature-requests/

Ted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transform Data into Opportunity.
Accelerate data analysis in your applications with
Intel Data Analytics Acceleration Library.
Click to learn more.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=278785231&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
Rosegarden-user mailing list
[hidden email] - use the link below to unsubscribe
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/rosegarden-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NRPN support

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 03/17/2016 08:19 AM, Ted Felix wrote:

> On 03/17/2016 05:21 AM, Bric wrote:
>> what is the status of NRPN support in RG ?
>
>     There is no plan to support it since no one has opened a feature request.

I directed him to ask the list, because I have vague recollections of
discussing this kind of thing, but I don't remember how it came out.  I
seem to remember saying it isn't possible, and somebody explained how
they were doing it.

We have some users who are far more clever with advanced MIDI nonsense
than I am.

Also, SysEx support appears to be utterly broken.  I'm investigating,
and will report back.

--
D. Michael McIntyre

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transform Data into Opportunity.
Accelerate data analysis in your applications with
Intel Data Analytics Acceleration Library.
Click to learn more.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=278785231&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
Rosegarden-user mailing list
[hidden email] - use the link below to unsubscribe
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/rosegarden-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NRPN support

Abrolag
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 08:50:43 -0400
"D. Michael McIntyre" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/17/2016 08:19 AM, Ted Felix wrote:
>
> > On 03/17/2016 05:21 AM, Bric wrote:  
> >> what is the status of NRPN support in RG ?  
> >
> >     There is no plan to support it since no one has opened a feature request.  
>
> I directed him to ask the list, because I have vague recollections of
> discussing this kind of thing, but I don't remember how it came out.  I
> seem to remember saying it isn't possible, and somebody explained how
> they were doing it.
>
> We have some users who are far more clever with advanced MIDI nonsense
> than I am.
>
> Also, SysEx support appears to be utterly broken.  I'm investigating,
> and will report back.
>
It *is* effectively supported :)
Just break it down into individual controller values.


--
W J G

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transform Data into Opportunity.
Accelerate data analysis in your applications with
Intel Data Analytics Acceleration Library.
Click to learn more.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=278785231&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
Rosegarden-user mailing list
[hidden email] - use the link below to unsubscribe
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/rosegarden-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NRPN support

Bric
On 03/17/2016 12:27 PM, Abrolag wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 08:50:43 -0400
> "D. Michael McIntyre" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 03/17/2016 08:19 AM, Ted Felix wrote:
>>
>>> On 03/17/2016 05:21 AM, Bric wrote:
>>>> what is the status of NRPN support in RG ?
>>>      There is no plan to support it since no one has opened a feature request.
>> I directed him to ask the list, because I have vague recollections of
>> discussing this kind of thing, but I don't remember how it came out.  I
>> seem to remember saying it isn't possible, and somebody explained how
>> they were doing it.
>>
>> We have some users who are far more clever with advanced MIDI nonsense
>> than I am.
>>
>> Also, SysEx support appears to be utterly broken.  I'm investigating,
>> and will report back.
>>
> It *is* effectively supported :)
> Just break it down into individual controller values.
>
>
Yup. I just saw that - Julie S. has a post from 2008 about using
controller the way Abrolag suggest...  Except I don't see where I can
define "modulation controllers"

Have the menus changed since this was published?
http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/en/chapter-7.html

See section 7.3.5 - Controllers.  It says to go to View -> Add Event
Ruler -> Modulation Controller, but I don't have that in the pull-down menus

I don't see  "add (or define) modulation controllers" elsewhere in the menu

In the Event List editor i can see empty space where the controller
values are probably supposed to go, but when you switch the controller
numbers nothing happens - probably because you need to define your
custom controllers first.





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transform Data into Opportunity.
Accelerate data analysis in your applications with
Intel Data Analytics Acceleration Library.
Click to learn more.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=278785231&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
Rosegarden-user mailing list
[hidden email] - use the link below to unsubscribe
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/rosegarden-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NRPN support

Ted Felix-2
On 03/18/2016 05:58 AM, Bric wrote:
> On 03/17/2016 12:27 PM, Abrolag wrote:
>> It *is* effectively supported :)
>> Just break it down into individual controller values.
> Yup. I just saw that - Julie S. has a post from 2008 about using
> controller the way Abrolag suggest...  Except I don't see where I can
> define "modulation controllers"

   It's a two-step process.  First, add the controller to the device.
Go to Studio > Manage MIDI Devices, select the device, press the
Controllers... button.  Here you should be able to add the NRPN
controllers you want.  E.g. add 99 and 98 for NRPN MSB and LSB, then 6
and 38.

   Once that's in place, you will be able to add rulers to the various
views.  E.g. select a segment and press "M" to launch the matrix editor.
  Now go to View > Rulers > Add Control Ruler and pick a control ruler
to add.

   This, however, is incredibly cumbersome.  I can't imagine doing NRPN
like this.

   The other option would be to add them by hand with the event editor.
  Pick a segment and press "E" for the event editor.  Here you can
insert any sort of controller you want (even if it isn't defined for the
device).  This seems a lot easier than using rulers for this.  But
still, you'll need to insert four controller events to get one NRPN
event.  A bit less cumbersome, but still annoying.

   It would be nice if there were a more direct way to insert NRPN
events.  The rulers and the event editor should directly support NRPN.
Again, a feature request will get this into the queue.

Ted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transform Data into Opportunity.
Accelerate data analysis in your applications with
Intel Data Analytics Acceleration Library.
Click to learn more.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=278785231&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
Rosegarden-user mailing list
[hidden email] - use the link below to unsubscribe
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/rosegarden-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NRPN support

Abrolag
On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 08:18:18 -0400
Ted Felix <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    It would be nice if there were a more direct way to insert NRPN
> events.  The rulers and the event editor should directly support NRPN.
> Again, a feature request will get this into the queue.
>
> Ted.

Request (and suggestion) made :)

--
W J G

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transform Data into Opportunity.
Accelerate data analysis in your applications with
Intel Data Analytics Acceleration Library.
Click to learn more.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=278785471&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
Rosegarden-user mailing list
[hidden email] - use the link below to unsubscribe
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/rosegarden-user