MIDI settings messed up after restart

John A
Hi all,

I had previously asked the list for help with getting Rosegarden to
recognize the program names on my old Korg triton studio. I was able to
make all this work, but it is doing surprising things after a restart. I
was able to set up the Korg Triton as a MIDI device, and save it in the
default studio. From there, I could change programs on RG and the Korg
would just do as it was told; I didn't have to mess with the Korg at
all, to change programs or anything. I was able to see and use the korg
as a MIDI device in any new file. After the restart, when I try to play
the same file, the programs as listed in the 'instrument parameters' box
do not match what they originally were, and the programs on the korg are
seemingly random general midi instruments. When I change the programs in
'instrument parameters' to the right ones, the programs on the Korg
either don't change, or they change back to the GM instruments almost
immediately.

In addition, when I open files made previous to my addition of the
Triton as a MIDI device, it is not available as a MIDI device. It seemed
like I might have to to do Studio -> import default studio, but after
this not only does the triton still not show up as a MIDI device, all
sound is muted, even though the meters are still jumping.

I have messed around with this, but I have no idea what the problem is.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

John

Re: MIDI settings messed up after restart

Abrolag
On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 11:58:24 -0600
John A <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I had previously asked the list for help with getting Rosegarden to
> recognize the program names on my old Korg triton studio. I was able to
> make all this work, but it is doing surprising things after a restart. I
> was able to set up the Korg Triton as a MIDI device, and save it in the
> default studio. From there, I could change programs on RG and the Korg
> would just do as it was told; I didn't have to mess with the Korg at
> all, to change programs or anything. I was able to see and use the korg
> as a MIDI device in any new file. After the restart, when I try to play
> the same file, the programs as listed in the 'instrument parameters' box
> do not match what they originally were, and the programs on the korg are
> seemingly random general midi instruments. When I change the programs in
> 'instrument parameters' to the right ones, the programs on the Korg
> either don't change, or they change back to the GM instruments almost
> immediately.

Can't help you with this

> In addition, when I open files made previous to my addition of the
> Triton as a MIDI device, it is not available as a MIDI device. It seemed
> like I might have to to do Studio -> import default studio, but after
> this not only does the triton still not show up as a MIDI device, all
> sound is muted, even though the meters are still jumping.
>
> I have messed around with this, but I have no idea what the problem is.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Activity but no sound usually means the wrong timing source.

Edit->Preferences->MIDI->Sequencer timing source

Try setting it to your soundcard

PCM playback 0-0-0 is usually a safe option.

--
W J G

On 11/25/2016 12:58 PM, John A wrote:

> as a MIDI device in any new file. After the restart, when I try to play
> the same file, the programs as listed in the 'instrument parameters' box
> do not match what they originally were, and the programs on the korg are
> seemingly random general midi instruments. When I change the programs in

I can interpret "restart" several ways.  Can you explain what you did in
more detail?

> In addition, when I open files made previous to my addition of the
> Triton as a MIDI device, it is not available as a MIDI device.

It won't be.  When you acquire some new piece of kit, you have to add it
to older files manually.

> It seemed
> like I might have to to do Studio -> import default studio, but after
> this not only does the triton still not show up as a MIDI device, all
> sound is muted, even though the meters are still jumping.

The MIDI VU meters mean "events are being sent" but the events won't
actually produce any result unless everything is hooked up correctly.

All I can really tell you is I never adopted the habit of using "import
default studio" or "always use default studio," and there is probably a
good reason for that.  I have long since forgotten the reason, of course.

On 11/25/2016 12:33 PM, Abrolag wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 11:58:24 -0600
> John A <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I had previously asked the list for help with getting Rosegarden to
>> recognize the program names on my old Korg triton studio. I was able to
>> make all this work, but it is doing surprising things after a restart. I
>> was able to set up the Korg Triton as a MIDI device, and save it in the
>> default studio. From there, I could change programs on RG and the Korg
>> would just do as it was told; I didn't have to mess with the Korg at
>> all, to change programs or anything. I was able to see and use the korg
>> as a MIDI device in any new file. After the restart, when I try to play
>> the same file, the programs as listed in the 'instrument parameters' box
>> do not match what they originally were, and the programs on the korg are
>> seemingly random general midi instruments. When I change the programs in
>> 'instrument parameters' to the right ones, the programs on the Korg
>> either don't change, or they change back to the GM instruments almost
>> immediately.
> Can't help you with this

I fixed it. I forgot to write the proper global setting in the Korg to
use regular programs instead of GM.

>> In addition, when I open files made previous to my addition of the
>> Triton as a MIDI device, it is not available as a MIDI device. It seemed
>> like I might have to to do Studio -> import default studio, but after
>> this not only does the triton still not show up as a MIDI device, all
>> sound is muted, even though the meters are still jumping.
>>
>> I have messed around with this, but I have no idea what the problem is.
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John
> Activity but no sound usually means the wrong timing source.
>
> Edit->Preferences->MIDI->Sequencer timing source
>
> Try setting it to your soundcard
>
> PCM playback 0-0-0 is usually a safe option.

I tried this, but nothing happened. I did fix this problem as well
though; somehow, I managed to clear the 'sends its data through' setting
in the 'manage midi devices,' so the korg was sending the data to
nowhere. All the levels in the MIDI mixer were zeroed out to; easy
enough to change, but I am not sure how I did this in the first place.
Either way, I am back in business.

Thanks for your help!