Linux audio over ssh X tunnel

D. Michael McIntyre-3
I have my electronic drum kit on one side of the room, and my desktop
bristling with USB, MIDI, and audio patch cables on the other side.

It finally dawned on me that instead of getting a real laptop and
transferring all that stuff over to the drum side of the room, it would
be cheaper, faster, and neatly efficient to throw a basic Linux install
on an old laptop that has a pitiful processor but a pretty good screen.

Running Rosegarden via ssh -X works quite well.  If I want to drum along
with Youtube, I have to run a different browser in the remote session.
Firefox doesn't play nice.  "Firefox is already running, but is not
responding."  Fine.  I installed Chrome.  (Yuck.  I hate Chrome.)

All that's left is controlling JACK via the laptop.  I can't manually
make and break MIDI and audio connections with this rig.

I could go with, uh...  I forget, but there's an app that lets you share
the same desktop over a network connection.  I could use that, and just
work with the same desktop session with all the same running doodads.

I could, but it's more elegant and geekier to run Rosegarden with the X
server on a different computer.  Windows can't do that!

I know there are folks around who have fooled with stuff like this.
LTSP?  I thought I'd drop this here and invite discussion on other
things I should try to maximize the results I can get from this method.

Also, I've been eyeing the drum trainer software from Roland.  It gets
pretty good reviews, and it would probably be helpful.  My original drum
module (Alesis DM7X) had lots of helpful new drummer features that my
improved module (Alesis DM10) lacks.  I could get that functionality
from the Roland software, but when I took one look at Windows 10 that
someone in the family had installed on that old junk laptop, it was very
easy for me to choose the "use the entire disk" option and wipe that
crap out for good.  I really just hate Windows, and I'm a truck driver
not a programmer or an office worker, so it doesn't matter.  I have no
reason to use that crap for anything, ever, and I'm totally fine.

So, the obvious line of thought is: I should add some stuff to
Rosegarden to give it drum trainer features.

I haven't made any progress even brainstorming that yet, but it's on my
back burner.  Instant timing feedback, playalong tracks with feedback to
show you what notes you botched, and other stuff such as what is found
in the Roland software.  I don't remotely intend to clone it, but it
would be nice to have help locking down my timing, which is pretty lousy
at the moment.

I thought I'd just throw that last line of thought out there too, and
invite discussion.

ladspa-swh-plugins and Rosegarden segfault

Martin Tarenskeen

Hi,

I recently tried to start up Rosegarden again, haven't used it for some
time, but it crashed with a segfault right after the opening picture.

I watched the messages in my terminal trying to figure out what went
wrong. I then decided to uninstall ladspa-swh-plugins using Fedora's
package manager.

After that Rosegarden started working again.

I first removed whysynth-dssi which also didn't work anymore, and also
produced some warning message in Rosegardens startup messages, but that
seems to be an unrelated problem. After re-installing the (still not
working) whysynth-dssi, Rosegarden was still functioning normally.

Now I am trying to find out: is something wrong with rosegarden and/or is
ladspa-swh-plugins broken on my Linux Fedora 23 system?

If ladspa-swh-plugins is broken, then shouldn't Rosegarden notice this
without crashing with a segfault?

--

MT

Re: ladspa-swh-plugins and Rosegarden segfault

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 02/22/2016 02:42 AM, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:

> If ladspa-swh-plugins is broken, then shouldn't Rosegarden notice this
> without crashing with a segfault?

It's a known issue.  See:

https://sourceforge.net/p/rosegarden/bugs/1474/

The long and the short of it is that Fedora 23 broke a plugin, and we
don't really understand why this causes Rosegarden to crash.  It
shouldn't on paper, and it does in practice.  We need more diagnostic
info to figure this out, and have not made any progress thus far.

Re: Linux audio over ssh X tunnel

Luis Garrido-4
On 22/02/16 06:58, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> Running Rosegarden via ssh -X works quite well.

You may want to try something based on RDP. Of the remote computing
solutions available on Linux I have tried, it is the one which makes a
better use of network bandwidth. Unfortunately it is a Microsoft
technology, but hey, nothing is perfect. I use xrdp as server and
remmina as client.

> All that's left is controlling JACK via the laptop.  I can't manually
> make and break MIDI and audio connections with this rig.

Why not? Can't you run qjackctl like you run RG? There's always the
command line.

Cheers,

On 02/22/2016 05:08 AM, Luis Garrido wrote:

> You may want to try something based on RDP. Of the remote computing
> solutions available on Linux I have tried,

I'll check it out.  Thanks for the input.

> Why not? Can't you run qjackctl like you run RG? There's always the
> command line.

I assumed since I was already running it on that computer, it wouldn't
let me start another instance from remote.  This assumption was
incorrect, it turns out.  That's pretty cool!

On the whole, this has proven to be a really good idea.  I can come MUCH
closer to playing in time when I'm playing along with something else,
and I haven't been doing much of that, due to the huge inconvenience
factor of dashing back and forth across the room.

I've only been drumming for two months, and I just recorded live drums
for that old Rosegarden demo "Perfect Moment."  My timing is not rock
solid, but it isn't utter garbage either.  I'm satisfied with the
progress I'm making, and I wish I had gotten into drumming 10 years ago.

Here's your chuckle for the day:  I set Rosegarden to do an audio
recording of the mix, and I left the transport running while I came over
here to type this message.  The composition is 100 bars long, and I
recorded out to bar 500, or 400 bars of silence.

Oops.

Re: Linux audio over ssh X tunnel

Abrolag
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 00:58:25 -0500
"D. Michael McIntyre" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have my electronic drum kit on one side of the room, and my desktop
> bristling with USB, MIDI, and audio patch cables on the other side.

<snip>

I shall be following this with interest. I've just about given up on
percussion in any form. I just don't seem to 'get' it, so I'll be keen to see
how you get on with this.

--
W J G

On 02/22/2016 03:47 PM, Abrolag wrote:

> I shall be following this with interest. I've just about given up on
> percussion in any form. I just don't seem to 'get' it, so I'll be keen to see
> how you get on with this.

Listening to the track the morning after, I decided to post it to your
SoundCloud thingie.  It definitely has lots of flaws, and I made no
effort to edit them out.

I'm pretty happy with how far I got in about two months of drumming.  I
almost took the plunge back in 2008, and in retrospect, I should have.

On 02/22/2016 08:39 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> Listening to the track the morning after, I decided to post it to your
> SoundCloud thingie.

I uploaded another track, so I'll mention explicitly that the one with
the live drums is "Perfect Moment."  This is pretty obvious at the
moment, but I may end up uploading more before it's over.  Being a
narcissist and all.....