General Midi Program change start [WAS]: Re: among 19 tracks rosegarden leaves randomly some without sound

General Midi Program change start [WAS]: Re: among 19 tracks rosegarden leaves randomly some without sound

Lorenzo Sutton
On 26/08/2016 09:28, Abrolag wrote:
 > On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 23:24:23 -0400
 > Ted Felix <[hidden email]> wrote:
 >>    Program numbers start at 1 for the user and start at 0 under the
 >> covers, so mistakes are easy to make.  I'm guessing the MIDI file was
 >> generated by a program that didn't subtract one from the program number
 >> before saving.
 >
 > I can never understand why the convention became that program and channel
 > numbers start from one, but banks and CCs start from zero :(

Historically I think its due to program changes being controlled from
hardware though number selection (e.g. my Yamaha keyboard used 1 ~ 128).
Most controllers would usually be controlled by hardware (pedals,
wheels, knobs) and therefore on a keyboard you wouldn't usually input a
controller change numerically as a number.

Lorenzo.

Re: General Midi Program change start [WAS]: Re: among 19 tracks rosegarden leaves randomly some without sound

Abrolag
On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 09:32:47 +0200
Lorenzo Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26/08/2016 09:28, Abrolag wrote:
>  > On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 23:24:23 -0400
>  > Ted Felix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  >>    Program numbers start at 1 for the user and start at 0 under the
>  >> covers, so mistakes are easy to make.  I'm guessing the MIDI file was
>  >> generated by a program that didn't subtract one from the program number
>  >> before saving.
>  >
>  > I can never understand why the convention became that program and channel
>  > numbers start from one, but banks and CCs start from zero :(
>
> Historically I think its due to program changes being controlled from
> hardware though number selection (e.g. my Yamaha keyboard used 1 ~ 128).
> Most controllers would usually be controlled by hardware (pedals,
> wheels, knobs) and therefore on a keyboard you wouldn't usually input a
> controller change numerically as a number.
>
> Lorenzo.

I hadn't thought of it like that. You're probably right.
It doesn't make it any less irritating though :p

--
W J G