File dialog sidebar URLs

D. Michael McIntyre-3
I started on the user-places.xbel quest, but found I wasn't thrilled
with the idea of going to such lengths for a solution that was only
expected to work on KDE.  I didn't see any reason to expect this was
going to do anything on GNOME or one of the dozens of GNOME forks people
are using these days, or one of the several alternatives that use none
of the above.  I could have tested all these possibilities, but no thank
you.

I went with File -> Open Example... and Open Template... instead, done
in a Qt-neutral way that still works on Qt4 or Qt5.  I left FileDialog
alone, which means my Qt4 builds have sidebar URLs in native Qt file
dialogs, as well as the new top level menu options.  I can live with that.

Fooling around with this, I can live with it.  It would be good to test
it on any other platforms anybody happens to be running before I do the
much delayed release.

I don't see anything else to hold things up.  A couple of minor GUI
glitches I might have time to address today, now that I finally got some
coding time.

Re: File dialog sidebar URLs

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 03/05/2017 12:21 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> I don't see anything else to hold things up.  A couple of minor GUI
> glitches I might have time to address today, now that I finally got some
> coding time.

Well, that and the 11 remaining uses of setStyleSheet.  I'll see if I
can make some progress on that today.

Re: File dialog sidebar URLs

David Faure
On dimanche 5 mars 2017 18:21:58 CET D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> I started on the user-places.xbel quest, but found I wasn't thrilled
> with the idea of going to such lengths for a solution that was only
> expected to work on KDE.

user-places.xbel is a shared freedesktop.org standard.

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/desktop-bookmark-spec/

> I didn't see any reason to expect this was
> going to do anything on GNOME or one of the dozens of GNOME forks people
> are using these days, or one of the several alternatives that use none
> of the above.

I assume this reasoning is because you didn't know the above ;)

> I went with File -> Open Example... and Open Template... instead, done
> in a Qt-neutral way that still works on Qt4 or Qt5.  I left FileDialog
> alone, which means my Qt4 builds have sidebar URLs in native Qt file
> dialogs, as well as the new top level menu options.  I can live with that.
>
> Fooling around with this, I can live with it.  It would be good to test
> it on any other platforms anybody happens to be running before I do the
> much delayed release.

As you prefer - I have no personal preference, in any case.

--
David Faure, [hidden email], http://www.davidfaure.fr
Working on KDE Frameworks 5

Re: File dialog sidebar URLs

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 03/05/2017 12:56 PM, David Faure wrote:

> user-places.xbel is a shared freedesktop.org standard.
>
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/desktop-bookmark-spec/

You have much more first-hand knowledge of such matters than I do, and I
in no way dispute any of your claims.

That being said, in my defense, I did some research with all due
diligence prior to arriving at my decision earlier today.  I found
desktop-bookmark-spec but there is no mention of user-places.xbel itself
in the spec.

Searching for user-places.xbel on Google, all fingers point to KDE, and
to you.  I couldn't find any clear acknowledgment that GNOME reads this
file, but I did find advice for users migrating from KDE to GNOME to
copy user-places.xbel to some other location for use with GNOME.  The
file format is universal, but the name and location of the file seems to
be much less certain, based on what my searches returned.

I felt it was faster to just go a different route than to run first-hand
experiments with different desktops to prove what is universal and what
isn't.

Re: File dialog sidebar URLs

David Faure
On lundi 6 mars 2017 00:39:18 CET D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> That being said, in my defense, I did some research with all due
> diligence prior to arriving at my decision earlier today.  I found
> desktop-bookmark-spec but there is no mention of user-places.xbel itself
> in the spec.

Oh indeed. Sorry for the wrong pointer.

> Searching for user-places.xbel on Google, all fingers point to KDE, and
> to you.  I couldn't find any clear acknowledgment that GNOME reads this
> file, but I did find advice for users migrating from KDE to GNOME to
> copy user-places.xbel to some other location for use with GNOME.  The
> file format is universal, but the name and location of the file seems to
> be much less certain, based on what my searches returned.

I see.

> I felt it was faster to just go a different route than to run first-hand
> experiments with different desktops to prove what is universal and what
> isn't.

OK.