Fail blog

D. Michael McIntyre-3
Got the percussion segment splitter to compile, and did the first test
run.  Logic fail!  Ended up with 2,187 new segments.  One per event.
All the same color.

It will be amusing to reflect back on how far I came once I get there.

Re: Fail blog

Ted Felix-2
On 01/06/2016 05:04 AM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> Ended up with 2,187 new segments.  One per event.

   Good stress test for Composition.

Re: Fail blog

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 01/06/2016 09:31 AM, Ted Felix wrote:

>     Good stress test for Composition.

Stressed it was!

I haven't see a single core dump yet.

Re: Fail blog

Speaking of failure...  I burned a whole day with no code to commit.

First, I tried to improve the efficiency of searching for notes and
sorting them into segments.  I made it 25% slower.

Then I moved on and started chasing the refresh problem.  I'm almost
sure I've seen it in unrelated contexts, but it's really apparent now.
Dump 20 segments into the composition in one shot, and the segment
canvas doesn't become aware of its new size.

If there is no scrollbar, it stays that way.  If I force there to be a
scrollbar, it's useless, because it isn't aware of the expanded height,
so it doesn't scroll all the way.  I'm sure it's a very simple thing to
diddle, but I looked all over the place without figuring out where to
diddle what.  That time was not well spent either.

Net lines of code to show for four hours: 0

Oh well.  I think I just figured out how to fix my last algorithm.

I'm having some fun, at least.  It has been a long, long time since I
undertook something this complicated and ambitious.  Many pieces to this
puzzle, but I have a plan for everything except the rest height issue
and the problem with putting rests in one part where notes exist in
another part running on that same line.  Both of those last problems
will benefit lots of other people too.  Our handling of polyphonic parts
is still pretty crappy, to the point where it just barely qualifies as
functionality.  So much hand hiding and hand moving of rests to detangle
things.  Ugly.

Re: Fail blog

Ted Felix-2
On 01/07/2016 06:28 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> Dump 20 segments into the composition in one shot, and the segment
> canvas doesn't become aware of its new size.
> If there is no scrollbar, it stays that way.  If I force there to be a
> scrollbar, it's useless, because it isn't aware of the expanded height,

   Hmmm, good one.  I was able to recreate by deleting the tracks until
there were three.  On the second track, add segments in the same place
until 20+ were stacked up contemporaneously.  Then I selected them all
and deleted them with the delete key.  Scrollbar is still there.  Undo.
  No scrollbar and can't scroll to track 3.

   Nice.

   I'm working on something similar with the drag/copy stuff right now.
  I'll add this to my list of things to look at.

Re: Fail blog

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 01/07/2016 06:44 PM, Ted Felix wrote:

>     I'm working on something similar with the drag/copy stuff right now.
>    I'll add this to my list of things to look at.

The only consistent way I can find to jiggle my way into a refresh is to
move a track.  That always works.  That's one potential source of clues
I didn't get around to exploring.

It would suit me just fine if you figure it out before I do.  I'll
ignore it and focus on other stuff.  I moved the percussion track in my
test document so this was no longer an immediate problem.)

Re: Fail blog

Original algorithm:
SplitByDrumCommand::execute               168.519000000 ms

Latest algorithm:
SplitByDrumCommand::execute               63.354000000 ms

Almost three times faster!

I got it down from traversing ~3,000 events 128 times to traversing them
18 times in this very representative test case.  That's what I was
trying to do yesterday, minus the stupid.

Well, that's all I had time to do, but at least I'm ending on a
satisfying note.

Re: Fail blog

On 01/08/2016 07:49 AM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On 01/07/2016 06:44 PM, Ted Felix wrote:
>>      I'm working on something similar with the drag/copy stuff right now.
>>     I'll add this to my list of things to look at.
>
> The only consistent way I can find to jiggle my way into a refresh is to
> move a track.  That always works.  That's one potential source of clues
> I didn't get around to exploring.

   I'm looking at this right now, and adjusting the window size also works.

> It would suit me just fine if you figure it out before I do.

   I'm on it...

Re: Fail blog

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 01/13/2016 12:30 PM, Ted Felix wrote:
>> It would suit me just fine if you figure it out before I do.
>
>     I'm on it...

Good deal.  I ended up getting busy at work anyway, and don't know when
I'll have time again.  Not today.