Document Properties broken

Ted Felix-2
   I can't launch the Document Properties dialog starting with 16.02.
Probably a show-stopper for the next release if it's not just me.

   I'll have a closer look.  Here's the debug output:

[RosegardenMainWindow] RosegardenMainWindow::slotEditDocumentProperties

WARNING: Rosegarden::Exception: "No data found for property �pd$" at
src/base/Configuration.h:190
[RosegardenApplication] Exception thrown: std::exception

Re: Document Properties broken

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 06/25/2016 09:01 AM, Ted Felix wrote:
>     I can't launch the Document Properties dialog starting with 16.02.
> Probably a show-stopper for the next release if it's not just me.

It works fine here.  To be clear, Composition -> Edit Document
Properties works fine here.

That error isn't really suggesting anything, and the only clue is the
operator=, which sure isn't cluing me in very well.

Dunno...

On 06/25/2016 08:00 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> It works fine here.  To be clear, Composition -> Edit Document
> Properties works fine here.

   Figures.

   Feels like a gcc improvement is highlighting a coding subtlety.  Or
perhaps just a valid shift in interpretation of the spec.  Like
[r14649].  I'm on gcc 5.3.1-14ubuntu2.1.

   Been digging on and off today.  It appears that
ConfigurationXmlSubHandler is reading them in and setting them OK, but
by the time MetadataHelper::getHeaders() gets to them, they're garbage.

   This will require some more digging.

On 06/25/2016 11:12 PM, Ted Felix wrote:

>     Feels like a gcc improvement is highlighting a coding subtlety.

Ah yes.  I'm still on Ubuntu 14.04 with the old gcc.  I'm holding off on
the upgrade until 16.04.1 comes out, or until I'm forced to do so to get
the new audio interface working.  The jury is presently deliberating
this last point.

Got all the microphones set up, labeled and routed all the wires, and
finally fired up this Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 that has been sitting
here for an entire week collecting dust, and...

Drum roll... (heh)

All I hear is completely heinous digital cacophony.

Of course.

It is looking like I will have to attach this thing to Windows at least
once to get it to do something.  Not satisfying at all.

On 06/26/2016 09:10 AM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> All I hear is completely heinous digital cacophony.

Off-topic, I know, but sharing my experiences anyway...

I did a test recording completely "blind" and it was successful.
Configured JACK to use the new interface, set everything up visually
(can't monitor anything due to on-board mixer not being set up and/or
maybe not even supported).  Recorded with all the gain knobs set in the
middle.

Had to shut JACK down and switch to the original interface to ever get a
peep out of anything, but by crikey, Rosegarden recorded 8 tracks of
audio and then recorded that mix to a 9th track.

My bass sounds like a TR-808 but otherwise this first blind stab isn't
actually that far off.  It sounds pretty good, really.

Heh.

I really should use Ardour for this stuff, but I'm lazy.  I figure
nobody else actually uses the audio features (since everybody else
switched to Ardour 15 years ago, because they're not insane), so I may
as well make the audio features work better for me.

But first I really need to get the interface mixer sorted out so I can
monitor stuff and actually hear playback out of at least one hole
directly on the damn interface itself.  It has all those holes, and none
of them are configured to send anything usable out of the box.

Anyhoo....  I suppose my next move is to upgrade my distro, since I have
to reboot one way or the other.  Goodbye stability.  Hello week of
screwing around to get everything working that has worked perfectly for
the past two years.

Re: Document Properties broken

David Faure
On samedi 25 juin 2016 09:01:18 CEST Ted Felix wrote:

>    I can't launch the Document Properties dialog starting with 16.02.
> Probably a show-stopper for the next release if it's not just me.
>
>    I'll have a closer look.  Here's the debug output:
>
> [RosegardenMainWindow] RosegardenMainWindow::slotEditDocumentProperties
>
> WARNING: Rosegarden::Exception: "No data found for property �pd$" at
> src/base/Configuration.h:190
> [RosegardenApplication] Exception thrown: std::exception

Works for me with data/examples/sicut-locutus.rg and current SVN.
Does it work for you with that document? To see if it's document-dependent.

--
David Faure, [hidden email], http://www.davidfaure.fr
Working on KDE Frameworks 5

Re: Document Properties broken

Aere Greenway-2
On 06/26/2016 09:19 AM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> I figure
> nobody else actually uses the audio features (since everybody else
> switched to Ardour 15 years ago, because they're not insane), so I may
> as well make the audio features work better for me.
It's nice to know that other people (you) use Rosegarden for audio
recording.

I use it, and a friend of mine uses it in that way.

I use it because it is the tool I know.

I have made several attempts at using Ardour, and have never yet been
successful.  There must be something critically important about the way
Ardour works, that I do not understand, and have been unable (so far) to
deduce.

--
Sincerely,
Aere

Re: Document Properties broken

Yves Guillemot
Le samedi 25 juin 2016, 23:12:53 Ted Felix a écrit :

> On 06/25/2016 08:00 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> > It works fine here.  To be clear, Composition -> Edit Document
> > Properties works fine here.
>
>    Figures.
>
>    Feels like a gcc improvement is highlighting a coding subtlety.  Or
> perhaps just a valid shift in interpretation of the spec.  Like
> [r14649].  I'm on gcc 5.3.1-14ubuntu2.1.

I can't see any problem with gcc 4.9.2 (coming with my distro).

I tried with gcc 5.3.0, gcc 5.4.0 and gcc 6.1.0 (all compiled from source) and
it always worked fine.

Yves

Re: Document Properties broken - Ubuntu 16.04 Test Results

Aere Greenway-2
On 06/26/2016 07:10 AM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> Ah yes.  I'm still on Ubuntu 14.04 with the old gcc.  I'm holding off on
> the upgrade until 16.04.1 comes out, or until I'm forced to do so to get
> the new audio interface working.  The jury is presently deliberating
> this last point.
When Ubuntu 16.04 came out, I tested it with in all of my MIDI usage
cases, and on numerous test machines (including a very slow, 450
megahertz, 512 megabytes RAM machine), it passed all my tests.  I have
been using it successfully on my performance machines since then.

I have successfully upgraded all of my machines (except my production
machine, and my backup machine) to 16.04.

That being said, it's getting to where only Lubuntu will work with my
slower, less-memory machines (that not that many years ago used to be
average machines).

One persistent problem I encountered, is that the ZynAddSubFX
synthesizer has not worked on switching banks and programs via MIDI
bank-select and program-change messages, since the version available
with Ubuntu 14.04 (2.4.3-4).

The Zyn developers say it has been fixed in version 2.5.3, but that is
not available in the repository for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.  For the time
being, I have locked the Zyn version at 2.4.3-4, so I can continue to
use it (I need to be able to switch banks and patches under program
control).

When it finally becomes available in an Ubuntu release, I may provide a
bank definition for Rosegarden for Zyn.  I could do it now for the
Ubuntu 14.04 version of Zyn (2.4.3-4), but that set of definitions will
not work for later versions, since they have significantly re-arranged
the patches and banks.

--
Sincerely,
Aere

On 06/26/2016 11:44 AM, David Faure wrote:
> Works for me with data/examples/sicut-locutus.rg and current SVN.
> Does it work for you with that document? To see if it's document-dependent.

   Thanks for testing.  Nope.  Not working with any document at all.

On 06/26/2016 06:08 PM, Ted Felix wrote:

>     Thanks for testing.  Nope.  Not working with any document at all.

I've built on 16.04 now, and document properties still work just fine.
(The recent files thing is MASSIVELY annoying though.  I need to check
into that post haste.  Hopefully I can make some progress on it now.)

On dimanche 26 juin 2016 23:41:34 CEST D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On 06/26/2016 06:08 PM, Ted Felix wrote:
> >     Thanks for testing.  Nope.  Not working with any document at all.
>
> I've built on 16.04 now, and document properties still work just fine.
> (The recent files thing is MASSIVELY annoying though.  I need to check
> into that post haste.  Hopefully I can make some progress on it now.)

Fixed the "recent files" issue in r14691.

Fixed the transport dialog buttons in r14690.

Have a nice day,

On 06/27/2016 03:41 AM, David Faure wrote:

> Fixed the "recent files" issue in r14691.
>
> Fixed the transport dialog buttons in r14690.
>
> Have a nice day,

Indeed I shall.  Thank you, David!

Re: Document Properties broken

On 06/25/2016 09:01 AM, Ted Felix wrote:
>     I can't launch the Document Properties dialog starting with 16.02.

   After some digging, the problem has gone away.  Probably the updates
I just did today.  linux-libc-dev was included in the bunch.

On 06/28/2016 02:09 PM, Ted Felix wrote:
>     After some digging, the problem has gone away.  Probably the updates
> I just did today.  linux-libc-dev was included in the bunch.

   And now it's back.  Argh!  More digging....

Re: Document Properties broken

On 06/25/2016 09:01 AM, Ted Felix wrote:
>     I can't launch the Document Properties dialog starting with 16.02.

   Fixed in r14693.  Please test.

On 06/28/2016 07:50 PM, Ted Felix wrote:

>     Fixed in r14693.  Please test.

Still works.

What do file dialogs look like on your non-KDE desktop with Qt5 after my
last commit?  They look pretty bad on KDE 5, and if they look bad on
Unity or whatever you're running these days, I probably need to back up
and figure out a way to let Qt do the native dialog thing without style
screwing it up.