Cross-platform Rosegarden

D. Michael McIntyre-3
When I got into acoustic drums, I ended up with an audio interface that
is only useful on Windows or OS-X.  I'm not paying what they want for a
Mac, and that is how I came to be running Windows for audio recording.

Since I finally had to break down and buy a Windows machine, I have been
working on a side project with Richard Bown to take Rosegarden
cross-platform.

The objective is a Rosegarden that can compile and run usefully on
Linux, Windows, and hopefully OS-X, using the same codebase for all
platforms, and with centrally managed, regular releases.

After some initial work that was good for other platforms at the expense
of being too destructive to Linux, I am taking a hard look at switching
from ALSA to RtMidi, which Richard reports as "just about" recording and
playing MIDI in the original Windows fork.

I haven't begun on any of this yet, but it does look encouraging.
RtMidi can use JACK MIDI or ALSA, in that order, which addresses all of
the users who wish we had JACK MIDI support.

The plan I am currently sketching out is to switch Rosegarden over to
RtMidi on Linux, get that working, and then the resulting Rosegarden
will be easier to port to other platforms.  This removes the biggest
dependency that is absolutely Linux-specific.

Before I really dive into pulling all of this together, I thought it
would be appropriate to see how both the developer and user communities
feel about all this.

In the meantime, I'm off to see the new Star Trek movie in IMAX.

jpm

Re: Cross-platform Rosegarden

jpm
On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 16:05:53 -0400
"D. Michael McIntyre" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After some initial work that was good for other platforms at the expense
> of being too destructive to Linux, I am taking a hard look at switching
> from ALSA to RtMidi, which Richard reports as "just about" recording and
> playing MIDI in the original Windows fork.
>
> I haven't begun on any of this yet, but it does look encouraging.
> RtMidi can use JACK MIDI or ALSA, in that order, which addresses all of
> the users who wish we had JACK MIDI support.
>
> The plan I am currently sketching out is to switch Rosegarden over to
> RtMidi on Linux, get that working, and then the resulting Rosegarden
> will be easier to port to other platforms.  This removes the biggest
> dependency that is absolutely Linux-specific.

Excellent, I have been curious about trying to run it in FreeBSD,
ALSA of course being the fly in the ointment for that.  It would be
really nice to abstract that dependency away.

The big question for me is this: how is this refactoring work going to
affect MTC synchronisation, i.e. where Rosegarden chases against an
incoming timecode signal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE8PPrMG3qA&feature=youtu.be&t=183

That's the single most mission-critical feature of Rosegarden for me
and last time I looked at the code the gubbins for slaving to an external
MTC source were spread all across the Alsa-specific code.

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=-  [hidden email]
Anti-walkthroughs for Deus Ex, Thief etc    http://www.it-he.org

On 07/24/2016 04:37 PM, J.P. Morris wrote:

> That's the single most mission-critical feature of Rosegarden for me
> and last time I looked at the code the gubbins for slaving to an external
> MTC source were spread all across the Alsa-specific code.

You raise an issue I never would have considered.  I don't see an
obvious answer to this one, and some real thought will be required.

In the meantime, the ALSA driver isn't going anywhere.

Re: Cross-platform Rosegarden

David Tisdell
I think being multi-platform would be wonderful. I tried to get an OS X port going but I am not a coder and was dependent upon other people to do the heavy lifting. I'll happily test. In my public school teaching, I try to exclusively use open source apps. It helps eliminate the class divide. I use Rosegarden in class as well as MuseScore, Audacity, and Ardour. If Rosegarden were multi-platform, I might not need the others. Thank you.

dave

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 8:25 PM, D. Michael McIntyre <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/24/2016 04:37 PM, J.P. Morris wrote:

> That's the single most mission-critical feature of Rosegarden for me
> and last time I looked at the code the gubbins for slaving to an external
> MTC source were spread all across the Alsa-specific code.

You raise an issue I never would have considered.  I don't see an
obvious answer to this one, and some real thought will be required.

In the meantime, the ALSA driver isn't going anywhere.

Re: Cross-platform Rosegarden

Abrolag
On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 16:05:53 -0400
"D. Michael McIntyre" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I got into acoustic drums, I ended up with an audio interface that
> is only useful on Windows or OS-X.  I'm not paying what they want for a
> Mac, and that is how I came to be running Windows for audio recording.
>
> Since I finally had to break down and buy a Windows machine, I have been
> working on a side project with Richard Bown to take Rosegarden
> cross-platform.
>
> The objective is a Rosegarden that can compile and run usefully on
> Linux, Windows, and hopefully OS-X, using the same codebase for all
> platforms, and with centrally managed, regular releases.
>
> After some initial work that was good for other platforms at the expense
> of being too destructive to Linux, I am taking a hard look at switching
> from ALSA to RtMidi, which Richard reports as "just about" recording and
> playing MIDI in the original Windows fork.
>
> I haven't begun on any of this yet, but it does look encouraging.
> RtMidi can use JACK MIDI or ALSA, in that order, which addresses all of
> the users who wish we had JACK MIDI support.
>
> The plan I am currently sketching out is to switch Rosegarden over to
> RtMidi on Linux, get that working, and then the resulting Rosegarden
> will be easier to port to other platforms.  This removes the biggest
> dependency that is absolutely Linux-specific.
>
> Before I really dive into pulling all of this together, I thought it
> would be appropriate to see how both the developer and user communities
> feel about all this.
>
> In the meantime, I'm off to see the new Star Trek movie in IMAX.

How does this behave WRT existing software destinations, and multiple hardware
MIDI I/O ports?

My usual setup is 2 MIDI hardware inputs, 3 hardware outputs (two keyboards and
a sound canvas), and a variable number of software MIDI destinations, some of
which are ALSA only, some are switchable for either ALSA or Jack.

--
W J G

Re: Cross-platform Rosegarden

Lorenzo Sutton
On 24/07/16 22:05, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> Before I really dive into pulling all of this together, I thought it
> would be appropriate to see how both the developer and user communities
> feel about all this.

I have mixed feelings about this one.
I could probably say that one of my personal motives to seriously dig
into Linux more than a decade ago was Rosegarden - I guess that says much.

At the same time as much as I love and endorse Linux I also see the
value of being cross platform for free software.

Finally if a side-effect of this were jack-midi, and if in turn that
could bring Rosegarden to have some sort of 'freewheel' support (which I
understand is a no-no with alsa midi) that would be interesting.

Lorenzo.