An idea... maybe?

Abrolag
I have two MIDI keyboards. One set to transmit on CH1 and the other on CH2,
and if I set Rosegarden Tracks 1 & 2 to only listen on those respective
channels I can record both at the same time. However the record monitoring is
only of the instrument connected to whatever track is selected - even though
all playback tracks are heard correctly, including any existing material on the
tracks I'm recording to.

Currently my way of working round this is to kill monitoring from Rosegarden
and link Yoshimi directly to the wanted keyboards - quite a bit of faffing
about.

So, what I was wondering, was whether there could be a way of selecting more
than one track (say with shift or ctrl) and for Rosegarden to sense this and
switch to a mode where as well as recording, it sends MIDI data from those
selected track inputs straight to the outputs.

--
W J G

Re: An idea... maybe?

Ted Felix-2
On 02/21/2016 06:33 PM, Abrolag wrote:
> I have two MIDI keyboards. One set to transmit on CH1 and the other on CH2,
> and if I set Rosegarden Tracks 1 & 2 to only listen on those respective
> channels I can record both at the same time. However the record monitoring is
> only of the instrument connected to whatever track is selected - even though
> all playback tracks are heard correctly, including any existing material on the
> tracks I'm recording to.

   See bug #1498.  We've introduced a "When Armed" Thru Routing mode
that should do what you need.  I'm working on testing it and writing a
user's guide.  It's not ready yet, but if you want to do some cutting
edge testing, try the latest svn.  If you have questions, I can post the
relevant section of the user's guide in progress.

> Currently my way of working round this is to kill monitoring from Rosegarden
> and link Yoshimi directly to the wanted keyboards - quite a bit of faffing
> about.

   Everybody's doing some variation of this right now.  That should soon
be a thing of the past.

> So, what I was wondering, was whether there could be a way of selecting more
> than one track (say with shift or ctrl) and for Rosegarden to sense this and
> switch to a mode where as well as recording, it sends MIDI data from those
> selected track inputs straight to the outputs.

   That is one of the ideas that I had considered.  It may still be a
good one.  I don't know.  Once I'm done with testing and the user's
guide, I'd like to get some feedback on the current implementation.
Then, we can think through some other approaches to see if they might be
better.

Re: An idea... maybe?

Abrolag
OhBoyOhBoyOhBoy :)

This works perfectly for me!

I finally had time to give this a run and now have my default studio set so that
I can start, immediately play both keyboards and just hit record if
inspiration strikes :)

Thank you very much indeed.

--
W J G

Re: An idea... maybe?

Ted Felix-2
On 02/22/2016 03:43 PM, Abrolag wrote:
> This works perfectly for me!

   Great!  If you can look over the Thru Routing user guide, I'd
appreciate feedback:

http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/wiki/doc:using_thru_routing

Re: An idea... maybe?

Abrolag
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 20:08:25 -0500
Ted Felix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/22/2016 03:43 PM, Abrolag wrote:
> > This works perfectly for me!
>
>    Great!  If you can look over the Thru Routing user guide, I'd
> appreciate feedback:
>
> http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/wiki/doc:using_thru_routing
>
> Ted.

Just read through that. It seems quite clear to me. Ultimately people will have
to play around with the controls to get a feel for them, but - knowing what I
wanted - I found I could get there pretty quickly.

Oh course, the downside is that I have now run out of excuses for lack of
inspiration ;)

--
W J G

Re: An idea... maybe?

D. Michael McIntyre-3
On 02/23/2016 04:47 PM, Abrolag wrote:

> Oh course, the downside is that I have now run out of excuses for lack of
> inspiration ;)

Nonsense man, as long as there are stars and planets in the heavens
above, we have excuses to have a lack of inspiration.  The Andromeda
galaxy was misaligned with Alpha Centauri this month, so my inspiration
was crap.